cutting worktop to length

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ColinJohn, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ColinJohn

ColinJohn New Member

I need to cut a laminate-chipboard worktop to length. Is it best to use a circular saw and if so can you recommend a suitable blade? The saw blade size is 185mm and no-load speed 5000rpm. Also, will I need to router the finished cut?

2. cer the chippy

cer the chippy New Member

if you want a good router buy a trend but if you are not going to be using all the time then go for a makita because they are a bit cheaper.

3. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

if your using a circular saw,make sure you use a guide rail and make sure you have inserted a tipped blade designed for cutting laminate.you should work on the underside and start cut from formed edge.that would reduce the risk/minimise break out.take your time with cut let the saw do the work.finish the edges with a file held at an angle and smooth the edges.affix laminate strips to ends apply with a contact adhesive.

chippie84

4. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Go for a blade that has either 24t or 30t. Turn the w/top upside down, mark where you need to cut then clamp a straight edge parallel to this line o the saw blade will cut on the line. Cut from the preformed edge to the back. Make sure both sides of the worktop are supported. Just cut at a steady speed. If you want, a length of masking tape placed on the top of the w/top, covering the cut line can help to prevent chipping of the laminate surface.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

.....just use a jigsaw with a bent blade :)

6. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Capn, surley the OPs better off wiv a CHAINSAW?!

7. ColinJohn

ColinJohn New Member

Thanks for the tips. I will practice on a scrap length first. If you could recommend a blade that would help?

8. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

9. ColinJohn

ColinJohn New Member

Dear Joinerjohn
    Thanks for the blade recommendation. I will follow it up.