cylindrical collars for screws

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Planet Niton, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

2. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

...or alternatively, anything I could make these from?
    Many thanks!

3. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

I was looking for something longer - about 5mm in length and not as wide as the screw caps, but thanks for the suggestion, MC!

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stevenage Glass sell the clips you want.

5. fitero

fitero New Member

Marine hardware suppliers[Chandlers]sell stainless fittings like that in various lengths and sizes.

6. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

Thanks for the replies - the collars in the glazing supplier I used have a tab as well as collar - I want to avoid having to clip the tab off the cylinder, if you see what I mean (reasons of space and angle etc).

Chandlers will be worth a try - however, I was looking for nylon rather than SS - need to avoid scratching perspex and white nylon would be less obtrusive...

Maybe someone know where I could get small diameter (like 5-8mm) plastic tube from which a could cut some collars?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

8. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

Wow, Chippie 244, what a site!
    Had a good look - closest so far - 8mm silicone tubing looked good but £38 for 50m - too much quantity and cost for what I need.
    Thanks for the suggestion - one to keep for future reference.

9. Dear Planet Niton,

I suggest that you try these people,

1/Skiffy
    2/Plastic Parts Centre
    3/Components Direct
    4/Alexander Industrial Supply

or perhaps the easiest of all RS components.

All have easy to find websites, just be aware that the price of these little plastic components in small quantities is often shocking!

10. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

Bingo!
    Many thanks, Charrington - Components Direct has cylindrical nylon spacers, right size, £7 per 100 - perfect item and acceptable price!
    Many thanks to all! :)

11. Dear Planet Niton,
    I'm glad to have been of service, my 30 years of buying Fasteners and Tools etc for a living hasn't been a complete waste of time! I'm new to this forum, it's a lot more intersting than Facebook!

Best wishes Charrington Lawrence
    (not my real name, just one that I spotted on a coal lorry years ago and I thought It sounded dead posh!)