DA

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Jun 18, 2018.

1. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

What I can't understand if the EU is so wonderful there is still freedom of movement at the moment so there is every opportunity for those who would rather live in a federal state with an EU parliament to up sticks and live there.

Heat likes this.
  2. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Sorry, but that's a load of nonsense, joinerjohn, countries that are members of the EU are not compelled to join the Euro. It is up to the country itself whether it joins,and many don't (if I recall WE never joined the Euro. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ).

I think your 'fellow Scots' are sensible enough to decide what's best for themselves - obviously you see your compatriots as not so, I presume?

3. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

I wonder how long it will be before the EU mandates that everyone HAS to join the euro? They will probably say that it will be to help balance fiscal policies across the whole of the EU...

4. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

But that will no longer affect us, as we'll be gone. So, no problem.
    But, to my knowledge, no such proposal has ever been proposed by the EU, joining the Euro is conditional on achieving certain financial targets, and it's up to individual nations to decide.
    Has there ever been a country denied EU membership because it didn't join the Eurozone?

5. Need a bigger hammer

I never stated it would be a problem for us. I am only too glad that we WON'T have to follow on blindly. As an experiment in social cohesion, I think the whole debacle has been just one extremely large failure...

6. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

I'm not sure what we would be "following blindly"?

Certainly I agree that as an experiment in social cohesion, Brexit has been a disaster - probably leading to the breakup of the UK.
    But then 73% of Leavers would prefer the breakup to happen than lose Brexit, according to the latest Ashcroft poll

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Well, err, Greece?

We spent two years in the ERM resulting in Black Wednesday and our withdrawal from attempting to adopt the Euro, possibly, the second best thing to happen to this Country after the Brexit vote.

Anyway, tell us Lanc, how did Greece qualify?

facilities and Heat like this.
  8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I think NABH was suggesting that the EU was a disaster of a social experiment rather than Brexit, as for Scotland breaking away, does anyone really care?

9. Need a bigger hammer

Correct, on both counts. Are we sure that "Lanc" isn't D.A. in disguise? I only ask because he seems to be as blinkered as D.A. was... Surely there can't be two people who think in the same twisted way...

facilities likes this.
  10. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Well, they obviously did, as one of the very early entrants, so they must have fulfilled the requirements back then.

But can you tell us if they were 'forced' to join the Euro ?? Or, even, any other nation forced to join the Eurozone?
    I certainly would care if Scotland (and NI) were to leave the UK, the amount of resources they possess that we will require is far greater than people think (particularly water and oil) - that's why we are so desperate to keep them. We are constantly told Scotland is a drain, and they are subsidised by England - it's rubbish. If it was, then why oh why does May keep refusing them a referendum - she knows England would lose more.

11. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

I see the forum DA-hating 'mafia' now seem to be turning their attention to anyone who doesn't agree with their view on Brexit.

But, don't worry, I certainly won't be intimidated and I'm sure that when/if Brexit actually happens, that all you folk that think you are "getting back control" will realise the error of your ways. :D But it will be too late.

And surely the EU referendum result was quite close - so almost as many see things my way as don't (except on this ultra nationalist forum, of course!). So surely there's more than 'two of us' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  12. Need a bigger hammer

When Brexit DOES happen. Will that shut up all the naysayers?

13. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

No of course not..........they are not capable of understanding democracy, hence they will continue.
    As far as I am concerned half the MP's in the HoC are traitors.
    The EU is not fit for purpose, corrupt, undemocratic and bankrupt.
    Theresa May has no spine....and the alternative to Tories is the crazy Labour Party which is unthinkable.
    RS

Need a bigger hammer and Heat like this.
  14. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Considering that , even after all this time, Mrs May has not yet been able to tell us what it will be like after Brexit, (IF it still happens!!), so how can you think that sensible 'naysayers' will change their views without knowing if they still have jobs etc? :eek:

You do understand that the governments own figures say we are going to be worse off, it's just the 'degree' of worse off that's yet to be finalised Have you noticed the number of businesses moving their Head Offices to Europe, before it's happened - open the floodgates when it does!:(

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I sense that Brexiteers want rid of the EU and to bring back "democracy", "control" and "sovereignty" at any cost. These things we already have. Well its going to cost, just how much we don't know but it will cost. A lot.

I'm no fan of the EU either, its no longer serving the people of the EU and its reach has gone far beyond the principles it was setup to achieve. But no one, absolutely no one, has articulated a vision after Brexit and I would suggest that no one is going to be pleased with the outcome.

Lanc likes this.
  16. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Exactly, and I wonder whatever happened to that Tory idiot, Cameron, who took us to this position? At least the Scots have a 'lifeboat', would that we did, also!

17. retiredsparks

Bodge.......the same can almost be said of the situation before we joined the EEU and rollercoasted into the EU.....
    A few people did articulate the spectre very accurately and were laughed at and ignored.
    Did anyone sign up for a European army ...directed and controlled by the Germans with no control over them ?
    A vision of how it might be is available from canada, usa, NZ, australia, china, south america, india, pakistan....etc etc.......and from our own history before joining.
    They all seem to survive and thrive and trade and grow....OUTSIDE the corrupt and undemocratic EU.
    Rs

18. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

....and I'm sure Scotland would agree with your comments, if you simply changed EU into UK.

Why is the EU undemocratic, do they not have an elected Parliament? Surely that's democracy (or are you saying the UK is undemocratic as well?).

19. retiredsparks

When the EU forces sovereign nations to keep revoting until they get "the right answer" and install their puppet leaders to those countries ....I would call that corruption and undemocratic.
    How much worse when germany has an army at its disposal to ensure other states comply with THEIR plans. Sound familiar ?
    AS for the UK......I have already mentioned the traitorous MP's....and ex Government advisers/civil servants attempting to override the democratic will of the British people.

You sound a little too much like DA for my liking, but we shall see.
    RS

20. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Ah, here we go again!

I seem to recall that DA said he was brought up on a Scottish croft - the only Croft I visit is the one near Culcheth, where I have been known to down a pint or two, in the summer months :D. But if the local Brexit mafia mob want to think I am DA then I will accept it as a compliment :).

By the way how do the EU 'force' nations to vote to join? Concentration camps, Spanish police beatings method, or do they just ask nicely :rolleyes:?