daily rates. lets be honest

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Ah I see 'LC spot on' was actually limestone cowboy! I thought you ment lanc's spot on. Doh how thick am I!

Can you plaster?

2. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

No, but I can spell.

3. Hoskie

Hoskie New Member

Can you teach me then!! Oh and Im from North Yorkshire and I try and get £120/140 day rate again depends on the job and if there is potential for repeat work from the customer.

4. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

So is it only in poor parts of wales we struggle to get £100 a day?

Woody

5. Hoskie, 2 things I hate doing, plastering and anything to do with putty. In both cases I end covered with nothing where I want it to be.

The onlt time I vary my rate is if I running out of work, at the moment I'm booked to end of Jan 06, so in fact my rate is up a little.

I apply the same rate regardless of the job type or whetether there is a likely hood of repeat work.

Saying that I had a 12 week job last year and dropped my rated by £10 a day

6. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

So is it only in poor parts of wales we struggle to
    get £100 a day?

Woody

I get about that in Derbyshire.

7. dunc

dunc New Member

On the other hand, agency rates can be down at 12 or even 10 an hour.

8. aw

aw New Member

I only get about 270 pound a week i mean this is a bad wage what would you suggest to go as a sub contractor or self employed.

aw

9. Jim

Jim Guest

General Building, South East, East London, £250-£300 a day Min

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I get £120 per day for a 7hr day. Thats just for handyman duties, and not any 'good' woodwork (when i'm doing woodwork).....the best i do is window sills. This is in cheshire.

I really cant believe that a 'tradsman' would earn any less than me as you are doing much more skilled work than myself.

If your earning less than me, you must be doing something wrong

11. Lee

Lee New Member

I have had a hell of a lot of work done on my house over the last few years (not working in the trade myself), and I generaly get charged £120 a day cash in hand. This is in Cheshire

12. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Handyman, it very much depends on where you are. handymen round here tend to get £70 - £80 a day. Pembrokeshire has been identified as one of Europes poorest regions. Thankfully that is changing at the moment due to two very large gas terminal contracts being built over the next 5 years. But it takes a long time for the money to filter down...
    woods

13. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

AW. It really depends on what you want. Being a subbie is slightly easier, as generally work is given to you, but you will still be self employed even as a subbie.

Going fully self employed is bloody hard work for the first couple of years. Either way you will need to fork out for GOOD kit and possibly a van. If subbying you will probably want 110v equipt as a lot of your work may be on site. But if self employed like me, I go 240v as I dont take site work on.

Dont foget also that although £100 a day may seem alot, by the time we take out our Ni cont, diesel for the van, constantly buying new tools and bits, van repairs, MANY MANY extra hours pricing up jobs, and then all the extra screws and glue you end up using that you really can't charge for - We dont actually make a hell of a lot of profit! It would be a bit more though if you went subbying as all would be supplied for you, but I like the freedom to choose my own work.

Oh, and don't forget, theres always that job that gets cancelled at the last moment and you canr book anyone else in in time so you have a Paperwork day!

Think it through carefully;-)

Woody

14. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

handyman

<u>i get £120 per day</u> for a 7hr day. Thats just for handyman duties, and not any 'good' woodwork (when i'm doing woodwork).....the best i do is window sills. <u>This is in cheshire.</u>

lee

I have had a hell of a lot of work done on my house over the last few years (not working in the trade myself), and I generaly get charged <u>£120 a day</u> cash in hand. This is <u>in Cheshire</u>

Coincidence, surely .......

15. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I've never taken cach in hand from anyone called lee;)

16. trustedman

trustedman New Member

I was told the other day that the average rate was £150 a day, I am in Leics near owen, I aim for £120-135, but don't seem to have a problem with what I charge. I did a quote the other day for a guy a real prat, The work probably entails about 1.5 days really easy work and I charged it at £425, he said it seemed very reasonable.

Now the guy who came to clean out my mother in laws pond wanted £150 for 6 hours un-skilled labour. Now that is a rip-off

17. trustedman

trustedman New Member

Oh I won't work for a day rate any more, you have to have a quote, you earn more that way!

18. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

iv u buy a bently in pembrokshire,it will b the same price as in park lane ;)

19. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I'm actually very suprised with the prices in this thread, not many are anywhere near the £200 mark, also not much mention of VAT?

20. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

B&S, whats a bently...? ;)

bstyle, what made you say about the 200 mark? by the way, I would guess an awlful lot of us aren't vat registered

Woody