daily rates. lets be honest

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Oct 23, 2005.

1. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

handyman, I've been working at Dean Row near Wilmslow recently so watch out because I only charge £12 an hour.

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

B&S, whats a bently...? ;)

bstyle, what made you say about the 200 mark? by the
    way, I would guess an awlful lot of us aren't vat
    registered

Woody

I was expecting people to say they charge around £200 a day. Like I said the daily rates do seem low but I guess it must depend a hell of a lot on the area.

3. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

hi bstyle, do you charge around the 200 mark? purely curious as to what made you think that would be about the norm.
    Woods

4. If your getting 200 a day and work 5 days a week for 48 weeks you get £48000 or if you get 150 a day that equates to £36000 so quite a way from the VAT threshold.

I know that doesn't allow for materials, but £36K is a nice income

5. major leak

major leak New Member

Im in fife up in scotland and I aim at £150 a day but if pricing a job I just try to get as much as possible. I put in a bathroom last week 2 days work charged £450 and took £2100 for the materials which only came to £1600. somedays its disaster and I only make £50.

when pricing I tend to do everthing by the meter eg internal partitions £20 per sqmetre taped and filled. flooring £25pm for 6x2 joist chipboard and insulated. its much quicker and easier that way.

£100 per window
    £35 for an internal door
    £10 pm for laminate flooring
    plus £30 extra per day to work in edinburgh

6. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

hi bstyle, do you charge around the 200 mark? purely
    curious as to what made you think that would be about
    the norm.
    Woods

Hi Woody, I'm not a carpenter so can't really comment, I don't do day work either. I know plenty of Carpenters that charge in excess of £200 a day and a few decorators, this is why I mentioned £200.

7. Ukwoody, good post, thrown up lots of good stuff

8. pooh

pooh New Member

180 a day off a carpentry subbie who gives me never ending 2nd fix on new build
    I try to avoid daywork as pricework works out much better
    for me
    thats in bedfordshire

9. owen

owen New Member

Going by these replies it seems like i'm cheap at the moment, i'm starting to get really busy so might look to put my rates up a bit.

10. short one

short one New Member

Hi there im from Andover not far from Southamton i get 160/180 a day.
    internal doors £30/40
    external £70

11. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Thanks TKF, I think we've all picked out a couple of points of interest.

Short one, interesting, I get far less per day, charge less for internal doors, but charge upto 120 for an external door (depends on hardwood/softwood/ painted/varnished etc.)

Also (everyone) I charge about £20 to hang and lock an internal door, but if say a house wants all of them replaced about 8/9 then I charge less, some times my daily rate if its 5 or 6.

What about you guys?
    Woody

12. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

Guys.

Agreed, good thread.

Couple of points; I never assume that I'm going to be billing for more than 200 days a year - holidays, bank holidays, the odd dry spell (we all get them, so build 'em into the business plan) they all cut into the actual number of billable days.

And secondly, 'number of billable days x daily rate' does NOT equal income! Even the simplest of one-man-band sole-trader businesses (like me) has expenses that need to be taken into account; vehicles, insurance, professional fees, premises, all these have to be paid for through your fee income, and they all come off the bottom line.

FWIW, here in West London I charge £245/day for general work, £300/day for plumbing, though I'm doing more and more fixed-price work these days; why else invest in tools and training in order to get the job done faster, if you end up penalising yourself with reduced fees..?

Anyway, that's me; your fees, like your mileage, may vary...

So, what do you think the chances are that one of the adolescent moderators will censor the phrase 'penalising yourself'...:)

Cheers

Pete

13. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

They'd have to look it up first.lol

14. panlid

panlid New Member

**** me!!!!!1 what a ******** thread!!!!!
    its quite simple. all this **** about areas is a load of ****. you are implying that there is more or less a set price for each area. granted if you live in a total ****** area then you wont be on as much but why do you live there? btw dont listen to londoners who go on about how much they charge as they normally have mouths as big as the chunnel entrance so they have to fill it with a load of *****.
    its quite simple. you will be able to charge what you are worth. not everyone is of the same skill level or has the same level of customer relations. are you a good businessman in terms of reaching your potential financially? are you as good a tradesmen as you think you are?????are customers handing out your name left right and centre???? does it normally go with a "try him he is ok and cheap as ** too"
    are you being honest with yourself and have you got the balls to find out?????
    up your prices month on month till you stop getting the jobs. that is your present level. want more????
    then do a better job, leave better business skills, aim your business at more affluent areas of your city/county,improve the look of your business to be more professional, BE more professional, and dont listen to those numpties that tell you if you charge more than they do then you are a cowboy who is in it just for the money. what they do not appreciate is that they too are dearer than someone else!

[Edited by: admin12]

15. handyman.

handyman. New Member

spot on sid, well said.

only thing is it means i'm **e:(

;)

16. panlid

panlid New Member

dont worry handyman, you are in good company here;)

talking money is so very vulgar dont you think.

17. gedder1234

gedder1234 New Member

Oxford 150.00 --- 170.00 is the norm now for chippies Eastern Europeans from the agencies we use are gettinh 100.00--120.00 8 hour dat BTW

18. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

do they get paid by Cheque? LOL ;)

19. Daytona

Daytona New Member

Woody I Live / Work SE London / Kent and I look for £100-£150 a day, plenty of work to be had do not need to advertise, perhaps we are better down south (waiting for replies on that one)

20. Mr Brabus

Mr Brabus New Member

Live and work in Glasgow and some parts of central Scotland (good paying recommendations). I charge between £130 - £150 per day for handyman/general maintenance and £200 max for plumbing jobs.

Got a fairly steady stream of work coming in but still get customers cancelling on me because they found someone cheaper or who can do it sooner.

All in all I think I've got a reasonable balance between working and living.