daily rates. lets be honest

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Oct 23, 2005.

1. wood4fun

wood4fun New Member

liverpool area
    day rate £120 -£150
    flooring £10 per sqm
    internal doors £25 per door
    but most jobs are fixed price depending on job type as no two jobs are same
    i am self employed joiner working on my own for 2 1/2 years. all my work is word of mouth / free yellow pages space/ van signs.

2. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

I have always found the obvious applies when charging customers, you only get what they're willing to pay, so sometimes get the job, sometimes not, because they feel the quote is too dear. For instance I work as Joiner/handyman priced a kitchen/dinning to be painted, walls only emulsioned, no ceiling, no glosswork, quoted £55 and she said no way too dear!!! Go Figure.

I simply charge by what area I'm working in, who I'm working for, but do try to aim for £120 a day.

Ah the wow's of self employment lol

3. panlid

panlid New Member

i think that anyone who has trained and learnt their skill over a long time and also has to run a business must not allow themeselves to be beaten into an inferiority complex as most of you lot are. do you not realise that the upper middle class are belittleing your status and are certainly averse to paying someone who wears dirty clothes for a living more money than their husband earns. i have actually had then when i did a quote for a lady. she said thats more than my husband earns and hes the manager at tesco's. i said well get him to do it then.
    as i said before, keep putting your prices up till you stop getting the jobs. from what i am seeing in this thread there are alot of z list tradesmen about and it is easy to see where the impression of a low skilled workforce comes from.

4. Daytona

Daytona New Member

Well said SID it took me a long time and training to get where I am. still learning never to old

5. Lee

Lee New Member

Hammerboy

don't know if you were implying that me and handyman were the same person or not, but if you look at our previous posts, you can see that I am a doorman (bouncer) and he is a tradesman. Agree with sid - if you charge any less than a certain amount after you take away tax, van, tools, quoting days, accountants, sick and holiday days etc etc you can't afford to buy a house in this day and age - hence the prices people are charging

6. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

there vsre still however, limits to what you can charge in a particular geographic area. Most chippies charge abouth the same as me here, but if I suddenly upped mine to say £150 (from £100) I'd have no work...
    woody

7. panlid

panlid New Member

then you may not be any better than other joiners. thats all im saying. if someone was worse than you you would like to think you could charge more than him as most of your work would be recommended or return. it works both ways. surely if you are worse than him you would earn less.

8. handyman.

handyman. New Member

just to correct lee........I'm a handyman, not a tradesman.

Woody, £100 a day for a joiner!! You must be rubbish at your job;)

9. dunc

dunc New Member

I'm thinking of going onto a minute rate. Just to see how this goes down with the customers.

I think it should cut out the time wasting chit chat and offers of **** tea.

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

my dentist charges £1 per minute if you miss your appointment..................good idea:)

11. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I spend most of my time fitting kitchens and bathrooms (complete job,including tiling and decorating)Plus some second fix and the odd one off job eg replacing windows etc. I charge between £180 and £250 a day dependent on amount of work and job.

would not get out of bed for £100

Paul

12. master tradesman

master tradesman New Member

When I quote I aim for £200 a day in suffolk some you win some you lose but it usually works out about right I also charge £100 for my labourer and give him £70 ( rich people where I live )

13. dunc

dunc New Member

Quoting cheap or expensive are just as 'suspect' to the customer.

14. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Sid, whilst I agree with the sentiment of much of what you say, I think you need to understand the local demographics here.
    Firstly I came from Southampton to here 20 months ago, so know what usual rates are.
    BUT Pembrokeshire is a unique county. It has 1 CITY with a popluation of 1383. YES 1383. Haverfordwest is the main county town with a population of 13102. The whole of Pembrokeshire (which is the 4th largest county in Wales) has a population of 114131 equal to just 72 poeple per sq kilometre.

It is mainly agricultural where everyone seems to be either related or know everyone else! The average wage is approx 8 - 9K at last count. The country is Britains only national coastal park and ranks 3rd poorest in the UK. and recognised as one of Europes poorest regions.

Unfortunetly, around here people would very often pay a local council worker or a friend £50 to do a "hobble" - ie cash in hand, than pay a good tradesman. One of the reasons is the infamous "Pembrokeshire Promise" - "I'll be there Tuesday" (but not saying which tuesday!) very much like the Spanish Manyana (or however it is spelt).
    Which doesn't give tradesmen a good name. That is slowly changing thank goodness.
    Until last year the average chippie around here was on about £90 per day and the average labourer £30 - £40. It's not much different now.

I have been slowly pushing up my prices and now average £100 - £110, but beleive it or not, sometimes struggle to get £80 a day. And I'm a fairly busy chippie!!!!

All of that said, it is all relative, and until very recently housing was extremely affordable with low rates and cost of living (though fuel is dear with diesel at Tescos 97.7 per litre).

So, for those of you earning £200 - £300 a day, great, but your local costs are probably higher, and the area no where near as beautiful ;)
    I knew when I moved here it would be a one way journey. Do i regret it? No! Yes I'm decidely poorer. But there is a very much more laid back lifestyle, better air, less stress, lovely people. Now if I could just earn enough to go to the pub... :)
    Woody

15. panlid

panlid New Member

good overall point woody. though of course your situation is an extreme and should maybe of been explained in your original post.
    you sound a very happy chappy though and should of put £100 per day + love in my heart in your original post;)

16. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member