Damaged Architrave - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DIYCarol, Nov 15, 2021.

1. DIYCarol

DIYCarol Member

It's very difficult to find good Handymen/Joiners for small jobs these days. See image. The gap has been caused by a replacement shower tray being less bulky. The stains....water damage.

I think the options are:
    1. Repair the 2 issues without removal - how? It's laminated. Impossible to find colour match, I imagine?

2. Replace the whole length and there is one inside a cupboard with same measurements. Not sure if it's glued on but I think I can see a lot of tiny nails coloured to match the wood. My worry is damage to the surrounding architrave....will there be?

3. Replace the damaged part only. Not sure if this is doable? Might be impossible to cut across horizontally and would leave unsightly line.

Opinions on best option above please and any other options welcome! Don't want to paint the whole architrave on one side as that would look silly and wouldn't match the rest. As one Handyman suggested! Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

I'd just replace the architrave all around that door

3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Any chance of a photo of the whole door & frame please, Carol?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Certainly doesn’t look like much of an issue to repair, do you have same colour paint if your sticking to the colour scheme or know what paint has been used previously ?

Fill the gap using either caulk or frame sealant, push into gap using a finger and/or scrapper

Allow to cure - will likely shrink back a little so apply a 2nd ‘hit’ and bring level with architrave

The gouges in the wood can be easily filled with wood filler and sanded to perfection

Allow everything to dry then paint the architrave - the complete lot around door frame

Agree, don’t just paint that one side as likely it will stand out as freshly painted

But no reason not to paint the complete architrave on bathroom side (once repaired) - not exactly a major job is it ?

A small, neat bead of silicone at architrave / shower junction will finish the edge and complete the job

All easily diy-able yourself or no bother to a decorator / handy man if you wish to go in that direction

Can’t see that the architrave needs replacing for that small amount of damage - good luck

5. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Can’t see that the architrave needs replacing for that small amount of damage - good luck.

It doesn't but if she's going to be messing about taking architrave off other doorways then handier to replace.

6. DIYCarol

DIYCarol Member

Door Surround.jpg

7. DIYCarol

DIYCarol Member

Attached Files:

8. DIYCarol

DIYCarol Member

9. DIYCarol

DIYCarol Member

'do you have same colour paint if your sticking to the colour scheme or know what paint has been used previously ?'
    Don't understand. The architrave/frame is laminated in an oak wood effect, NOT painted. Also, you can see from the new photo that the two verticals are very different in their (fake) grain.The bottom water damaged part can't even be sanded, I tried. If only it was real wood. New large photo attached. When I said I didn't want to paint the door frame on one side, I meant the whole lot (3 parts) on the ensuite side. If I repaired and painted the ensuite side, that would mean the 'wood' Door Jamb in between the ensuite side and the other side (bedroom) would be visible and different. I think it would look naff. I want to maintain a high quality finish so I'm now thinking I need the whole frame replaced (3 parts). Even then it won't match the door jamb. The 100% perfect job would be the whole lot on both sides and jamb. :(

10. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Bring in a picture or even better a piece of the damaged side to a hardware/ building supplies and see if they can match it

11. DIYCarol

DIYCarol Member

And that sealant wasn't me! It was some Handyman who arrived on his horse! I will get round to fixing it eventually. I repeat that it's hard to find good Handymen/Tradesmen these days.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That isn't paint it's a coloured varnish.

13. DIYCarol

DIYCarol Member

It's chipboard with a laminate (like 1 or 2 mm) on top. I just had another look. I'm not sure if you mean it's the laminate that's varnished???

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It will probably sand off the surface and clean up with a wood bleach prior to re colouring an sealing.