Damaged hole in back box lug

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jay777, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Jay777

Jay777 Member

Hi,

I have a damaged hole in backbox lug and replacing the backbox is not an option as it is covered with quartz splashback.

I have tried re-tapping the hole with M3.5 purchased from Screwfix but the hole had gone a little big so the screws wouldn't go through and just slips through.

The lug is fixed not adjustable. Is there anyway I can get around that? I am thinking using steel epoxy in the hole and then re-tap.

I am looking at JB Weld Epoxy Putty or Evo-Stik Epoxy Putty from Halfords...

Your help will be appreciated!!

2. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

if the hole is already too big can you not glue a nut on the back of the lug with epoxy.Just an idea

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Drill and tap a hole in the back of the box and use a longer screw, or a long self-tapper if you can find one.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. Jay777

Jay777 Member

@seneca Does that mean I will need to tap the hole back of the box and use longer screw? But the box is like 1-2mm thin so how does that work?

What's your thoughts on using metal epoxy in the damaged hole and then re-tap?

5. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

6. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

Crush the lug slightly with your pliers then re-tap with your 3.5mm tap.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  7. cleggie

cleggie Active Member

8. Jay777

Jay777 Member

@seneca I ended up using your method.. made a hole in the back box and used long screws. Worked great, thanks!

seneca and WillyEckerslike like this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's really good to get feedback like this. Thank you on behalf of the possibly thousands of people that will come across this in future when searching for the same issue, see the suggestion and, most importantly, that it worked. It's also polite and courteous unlike a lot of frankly rude recipients of free professional advice who go away without any further response leaving people wondering. You'd also like to think that the same question wouldn't need to be asked again however it doesn't always work like that I'm afraid. We do see the same questions over and over.
    Thanks again.

Jay777 likes this.
  10. Jay777

Jay777 Member

No worries, my pleasure.

I tried using the epoxy putty but that didn't really work. Perhaps I didn't do it correctly or effectively.

Having hole in the back of the back box worked brilliantly. I also had issue with the adjustable lug and replaced that with new lug from the new back box. Will do that definitely if I have similar issue in future.

I could have replaced the back box entirely as it was behind the quartz splashback and can be removed without affecting the deco / surrounding.

Thanks everyone.

11. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

As already said earlier; crush the lug slighty with pliers or water pump pliers so you can get the force needed; and re-tap with your 3.5mm tapping tool.

Jay777 likes this.
  12. Jay777

Jay777 Member

Tried doing that but didn't work. I think the hole may have been too big for it too work. Cheers for advice.