Damp... Again!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Hi folk...

Following a fabulous load of advice from some of you guys a few months ago, the front wall of a Victorian terrace I'm working on is now dry as a bone (waterproofed render over the brickwork, telescopic vents to air the area below the floor)

Unfortunately it seems I have another problem...

Middle room of this house has a solid concrete floor (no idea how old) which seems to be bringing moisture into the walls. I only noticed because the plaster never quite looked "dry" so I confirmed it with a moisture meter.

Anyone got any comments or suggestions?!

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Internal walls or external walls, & concrete floor totally dry or damp area's?

3. Internal walls!

Didn't test the floor... It's got some nasty plasticy tiles, I didn't disturb them, heard some contain asbestos!

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

No dpc in floor,or if one one it has failed, possible water leak.

Good to hear you have solved your other problem.:)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  5. No water anywhere near that part of the house, so I've been presuming that they didn't bother with a DPC.

I'm still confused as to why they'd go to the trouble of concreting the floor of one half of the downstairs, but not the other, especially if they weren't doing it to keep out the damp...

I'm no expert though, I'd always thought the concrete would be waterproof itself!

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Never say never with water, seen many times over the years, old water mains sometimes disused,usually lead,but sometimes iron plastic,, but still live, start leaking under stone, concrete & other floors.

As to concrete being waterproof,think of a sponge, read this. http://www.waterproof-concrete.co.uk/

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Active Member

Victorian? it may not be concrete! My house project had exactly the same problem - middle room had damp creeping well up the internal walls. Turned out the floor was york stone flags on sand and cinders (as many houses were) which would originally have been bare and would have breathed. Once covered with plastic tiles (or in my case 5 layers of various lino and 3 layers of carpet!!!) it sweats like hell and the walls get damp.

The only remedy is likely to be ripping/digging it out and installing a proper insulated concrete floor with DPC. You might get lucky and end up with a good few sqm of york stone flags like I have :)

As to why only one room is solid, I think this was quite normal. The "back room" would probably originally have been the "kitchen" probably with a range cooker. What is possibly your kitchen now would likely have been the "scullery"

here's the original architects plan for our little 1902 semi

Attached Files:

8. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

So much history in just one plan.:)

Devil's Advocate likes this.
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Active Member

isn't there just!

10. Now that is very similar...

I guess it is the original floor then!

Makes a lot of sense...

Oh well, we'll be painting it and living with it, it's been fine for 100 years, it should survive a few more as cheap student digs

Cheers