Damp Around Kitchen Sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mrsgarratt, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Mrsgarratt

Mrsgarratt New Member

Hi everyone,

I would be very grateful for some advice please!

I rent an old terrace house, when I moved in I noticed the paint around the kitchen socket looked wet but never touched it.

After seeing some of the plaster fall off today, I touched it, to find it is very damp around the socket, it’s an inside wall in the kitchen, the other side is the living room and there’s nothing noticeable there.

The freezer plug that was plugged in there had moisture on the plug prongs, so I’ve taken everything out of this socket!

As you will see from the pictures the plug holes and screws look like they are rusting if you like, possibly from all the moisture.

This wall runs down the middle of the house, the plug is next to a radiator which is not leaking.

Any ideas!?

I’m obviously not going to use this socket for anything now, but is it still dangerous even not in use?

Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

By law you have the right to ask the LL to give you a report on the condition of the electrics, called an EICR, which lists any defects that should be corrected - did he give you one at all?

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Looks like rising damp. You can get that in old properties, even on interior walls.

Mrsgarratt likes this.
  4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

When was the last Electrical Safety Inspection carried out, presumably you have a valid EICR?

5. Mrsgarratt

Mrsgarratt New Member

Thanks for your reply, no, I’ve never heard of one of these and definitely didn’t get one when I moved in.

6. Mrsgarratt

Mrsgarratt New Member

Thanks for your reply, I’ve no idea, I don’t have an EICR, I could always ask my LL.

7. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Looking at that socket fitting it would be a good idea to ask your landlord for a copy of the current EICR.

8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Rising damp - more like a rising TIDE!

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I'm curious about how close that central heating pipe is. Maybe an underfloor leak?

Jord86 likes this.