damp cellar walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tebbo66, Feb 8, 2010.

1. tebbo66

tebbo66 New Member

hi folks, i have an average 1930's 3 bed semi built into the side of a moderate incline.
    i have recently dug down under the staircase to open up the cellars -one under the lounge, one the kitchen- to find i have damp walls along the front of the house and down the gable end. The gable end tho not 'dripping' wet, seems to retain some damp throughout the year.
    in order to make these rooms dry and useable, could i just paint all the walls with a liquid damp proof membrain , then stud with s/s battens and insulated plasterboard ?
    or am i being too simplistic ?
    cheers in adv for any advice
    carl

2. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

Some things for you to think about;
    1. where is the damp coming from? It could be from the floor, from the walls or from flood!
    2. is there any ventilation? you will need good ventilation in (what I assume is)a large area to make sure any moisture in the air doesnt condense of cold surfaces. If there is no ventilation any moisture from the floor will be taken up into the air and will condense on the cold walls.

If you are directly on earth or quarry tiles on ash considor taking up the existing floor and laying a DPM and screeding. This will block any moisture coming up from the floor and may help the problem.

Get a local builder in to quote you and use his knowledge.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

4. vote CONSERVATIVE

vote CONSERVATIVE New Member

TEBBOO, CHIPOIL THINKS HE OWNS THE FORUM :^O

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you going to recommend ventilation Loopy Fool :)

6. vote CONSERVATIVE

AS YOU CAN SEE, CHIPOIL IS ALSO THE FORUM TROLLOP :^O

7. tebbo66

tebbo66 New Member

ok, ya caught me bang to rights, lol
    i also posted it in the plumbers forum too .
    yes Loo , both rooms are approx 6x4 mtr with 8' ceilings, there is more than adequate ventilation - much to my annoyance - (draughty as hell through the floorboards). in the other forum it was suggested i use "synthaprufe" which seems ok but it looks rather expensive for the area i would need cover. Again , in there i asked about a wall within a wall, awaiting response.
    the damp i do believe is purely run off rain water courseing its way along the walls on its way down towards a lower garden.

8. tebbo66

tebbo66 New Member

i must apologise to the room mods for posting in multiple rooms btw, but am just trying to gleen as much info as possible before i commit to spnding what could be alot of hard earnt :)
    promise no more new topics lol

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have you considered a french drain to channel the run off away from your walls? I'm not saying this is a complete answer just an option.

10. vote CONSERVATIVE

yOU wOULD bE bEST tANKING tHE cELLAR oUT. bY iTS vERY nATURE iT iS bELOW gROUND sO pRONE to dAMP.

LOOCIFER x