Damp Chimney

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by NBTree, Feb 10, 2019.

1. NBTree

NBTree New Member

Hello

We have some issues with damp beneath suffits and especially around our chimneys (inside and out).
    The chimney that seems most problematic is the one that is capped, I cannot see if it is vented or not.

Today whilst removing the wallpaper I discovered holes where the original fireplace would have been, it seems there were drilled to act as a vent, unfortunately they then wallpapered over these so I guess it did nothing! I can feel lots of air coming through now though.
    I also found that in the attic, the insulation is packed right up to the edge in most places.

My plan is to
    • install an interior vent where the holes have been drilled
    • install a vented chimney cap
    • remove the insulation from the edges of the attic space
    • install suffit vents
    • then obviously remove all damp plaster and allow to dry through.
    Does anyone agree with my plan? Or am I on the wrong track? I'd appreciate any input. Pictures attached.

Thanks
    Nick

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      349.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      719.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      357.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Are the lead flashings in good order?

3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Looking at your picture there are a few issues, most small

upload_2019-2-10_22-51-7.png

If you have a look there is staining on the stonework just where the guttering joint is. You may find it isn't sealed properly
    The aerial cable is another source where water can come in. Water has a nasty habit of tracking along cables and running into the roof space.
    The flashing on the left hand edge and the bottom of the chimney breast is tiled over and water will run down the inside of the tiles. If your insulation is touching the roof it will stop the rain water exiting under the tiles - also causing the staining on the wall.
    The brick course above the flashing seems to have been disturbed
    Whilst not part of your current problems there are few tiles on the left hand edge of the roof working lose

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

5. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

hello, see if you have a lead tray and wep vents, rear of chimney may be a prob check out flashing, vents at chimney top for vent inside hse

6. NBTree

NBTree New Member

Hello
    Thank you for everyones input, thats was well worth posting. I ignorantly didn't look at the lead flashing.
    Ill get a roofer to have a closer look and put it right.

Thanks again!