Damp inside front door.. ill placed airbrick?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by CallumAB, Dec 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. CallumAB

CallumAB New Member

Hi guys, i seem to have damp in my wall inside my entryway currently below knee height. There doesn't seem to be water getting through the door seal, although the weather bar is old. The floorboards closest to the door and wall is rotten.

I feel the problem is an airbrick placed under my front door of my upstairs maisonette (see pics).. it seems to have have had some work done to it at some point (I have had the property for 1.5 years). The ground floor neighbour to right has an airbrick about 2 foot off the floor under his window but the my upstairs neighbour to my left doesnt have one.

Any advice? Screenshot_20221223-093048_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221223-093208_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221223-093151_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221223-093126_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Knight Rider

Knight Rider Member

It's difficult to understand what i sgoing on in your specific circumstances.
    It could be damp, or it could be condensation.
    A lasck of a DPC in that wall could cause damp from below. A physical inspection would be required to ascertain the presence of a DPC.
    Does your neighbour have a similar problem there?
    Is it a single or double brick wall?

Condensation could easily be the cause.
    Cold air at the bottom of that stair well will naturally give rise to condensation in this area in this weather. I'm assuming there is no heating there?
    Or/and the wall below the floor could cause that part of the wall to be colder than usual due to the cold air under the floor.

CallumAB likes this.
  3. CallumAB

CallumAB New Member

Thanks for the reply. Checking with my neighbour is my next job and judging by the outside, I believe it's a double brick wall.

It does get quite cold, the door frame is weathered and we've been trying to draft proof the area recently, and no, no heating down there.

Interesting observation is that the door frame and floor level seems to been lifted compared to my neighbours. Guess i'll be lifting the floorbood to see what awaits me!

4. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

There is a short wall on the neighbour's left - there's probably a similar wall on your right hand.
    Where the short RH wall abuts against the main house the house wall is vulnerable for penetrating damp into the house.

The air brick might be a late addition to provide some ventilation under the suspended floor - I doubt that its the cause of your damp issues.
    What you see under the door sill is a "recent" bit of codging.
    In fact, I wonder if your front step and threshold were once at the same level as the neighbour's? But it would have meant lifting all the interior hallway FFL to its present level?

When you have removed the floorboard then why not post photos from outside showing the threshold with the door open, & a photo of the gap from the lifted board area? Careful with the elec cable.
    You might find that the joist tails are rotting, and perhaps you should remove, & examine the skirting?
    Cut the skirting free from paint etc before removing.
    A thorough job would require knocking off all damp affected plaster, and rendering to make good.

5. Knight Rider

Knight Rider Member

If it is just condensation, a dehumifier in that location would reduce or prevent the condensation, if you have the space, and the socket there to accomodate it.
    Any condensate could be drained directly outside.