Damp Issues?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Elgar1, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:37 PM.

1. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Hi, Got a couple of damp issues on a new build property which is located on a hill. It is north facing but has a fairly large open aspect to the rear. I have 2 damp patches 1 at the rear that appears to go above the DPC (wavy damp line) and the other that is located next to a down pipe and small run off from a chimney stack. Any advice on the possible causes and how to fix it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Member

I wonder if the gravel 'moat' is the problem. See what it's like if you dig down a bit; maybe the ground is saturated.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

In my opinion (though I’m a carpenter not a full time builder or surveyor) I would say the french drain along your house needs to be wider, looks to me like water is just bouncing off the slabs and saturating the bricks, especially after the weather we’ve had the last couple of months. Check your downpipe isn’t blocked either.

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Cosmetically household bleach brushed over the damp area and left to soak followed by a hose off will shift the green grime on the walls and slabs.

5. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Great thanks I will take a look.

6. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Thanks for the advice

7. Elgar1

Elgar1 New Member

Sounds like I should take a look at doing this. Thanks.