Damp Patch On Internal Wall

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Ricky Miller, Sep 27, 2021.

  1. Ricky Miller

    Ricky Miller New Member

    Hi all, just stripped the wallpaper in a Victorian Terrace house I recently bought and found this wet patch in the living room. It's on the ground floor in-between a chimney alcove on the left and then the wall to the right is the main front of building with windows. There's also a smaller wet patch in that corner. Any idea what could be causing it and how best to treat it? 2a7bf181-55db-4a9c-8d7c-064915ea182d.jpg about a meter from the front window
     
  2. ejenner

    ejenner Member

    Potentially separate but I'd say the bigger one on the left could easily be the chimney. Flashing, brickwork, rendering, capping... you wouldn't know without going up to have a close look. The one on the right could be a hole in the front of the house for something fixed like a rain downpipe or utilities like phone line bracket.
     
  3. ejenner

    ejenner Member

    If it is the chimney you might be able to see more evidence in the loft. If it's damp around the chimney in the loft then it could easily get down to any other parts of the chimney breast.
     
  4. Ricky Miller

    Ricky Miller New Member

    Thank you, I'll check out the loft. We had the chimney capped a few weeks ago so maybe it's from before that.
     
  5. ejenner

    ejenner Member

    Sorry, I meant the 'crown' could be cracked, I used the wrong word. If someone was up there recently they should have told you about any big holes. Could take months to dry out after a leak has been fixed so that's okay but would be handy for you to be able to confirm if that's the cause or not. A cap does stop rain going straight down the chimney but that shouldn't really cause damp if the chimney is properly vented inside the house. Do you have fireplaces or are the holes blocked up? You always a good idea to vent a chimney if it's disused.
     
  6. Ricky Miller

    Ricky Miller New Member

    There was a gas fire there but it was recently taken out and the space temporarily boarded and plastered.
     
  7. ejenner

    ejenner Member

    All the boarded fireplaces in our house have vents on them. Seems standard practice as I've seen it before in other houses as well. During a serious downpour our recycling bin gets about an inch of water sitting in it as it's under the opening of an open chimney where a stove used to sit. Ours are fairly large chimneys so will take more water than most but point is there will be times when the chimneys will have to be vented. Good that yours is capped off but there's always the possibility of condensation and humid air building up.
     
    Ricky Miller likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice