Damp proof a small concrete floor with slurry.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by glob@l, May 17, 2019.

1. glob@l

glob@l Member

Would slurry under vinyl floor covering work the same as liquid DPM?

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I presume you mean a SBR slurry, it has no damp proofing properties unlike a liquid dpm.

3. glob@l

glob@l Member

I believe you have recommended KA Slurry for other applications. I need it for another job so would this work the same as DPM on a small concrete floor under vinyl?

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

I can only advise as to what has worked very well for me on lots of similar occasions.

Two good coats of Wickes Liquid DPM. Then primer with Setcrete primer. Then levelling compound.

5. glob@l

glob@l Member

Yes, I would more than likely use your recommendations, however, I was curious, since I will be using slurry (as recommended on the board) elsewhere anyway, whether it would suffice as a DPM on a small concrete floor.

6. ajohn

ajohn Active Member

I had a similar problem assuming yours is in house. Concrete slab not that thick used to replace rotten floor boards a long time ago. I used a leveller that Bostik make that is exterior rated providing it's covered. Looking around it seemed that there could be problems using a floor leveller on top of a number of things. I found one leveller, can't remember which that could have something the same company made underneath but it didn't suite. So in the end applied 2 liberal coats of PVA both very diluted so that it soaked in as some reckon this will seriously reduce rising damp. Then tiles on top of the leveller. Prior to this we had cushion flooring directly on top of and had no damp problems I am aware of over rather a lot of years or staining etc when it was taken up. PVA as that will bond with the leveller.

So with other things on I'd suspect the primer mentioned would be a good idea. I was tempted to use water proof PVA, different animal, it is water proof so once it's gone off that's that.

John
    -

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Sorry John but if you are advocating using PVA to seal or bond a surface prior to pouring levelling this is very poor advice.

PVA actually does exactly the opposite of what you want the primer to do. You want the surface to be sticky not sealed.

Can't tell you how many times I have encountered lifting leveller causing problems. Pound to a penny a significant number of those were caused by people sloshing PVA about because its "what they do"

Its pretty simple when it comes to using products. Read the instructions on the back and then follow them.

I cant speak for the "damp proofing" qualities of dilute PVA either. All I know is that if I was looking to damp proof a floor it wouldn't be what I would use.