Damp Stain

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Odd Bodkin, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin New Member

This damp stain has persistently appeared throughout the year; despite spraying and painting it has resisted all attempts at removing its demonic prescence on the kitchen ceiling and wall.
    The bathroom above holds a shower directly overhead which seemed to be the problem, but installing a new unit showed this isn't the case.
    The area is not damp to the touch and i'm at a loss: can anyone suggest a paint to cover it?

Attached Files:

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

What makes you think it's damp?
    It looks to me like it could be creosote from an old chimney stack. I've seen several situations where the black 'tar' from a chimney seeps through the brick work and ends up staining the decor of a wall.
    Have you tried a good quality stain blocking paint? If you're just applying more coats of a normal paint, it'll never stop the staining.
    Have you tested the humidity level in the plaster and even in the wall?

3. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin New Member

Interesting.
    There was a hole in the wall above - no idea why or what for - which may've contributed to the stain. That area has now been 'tanked' and hopefully no more black stuff will drop down on to the kitchen ceiling.
    I haven't tested the humidity level but condensation may be a factor, especially in winter.
    I've used an anti-damp paint and spray by Polycell to cure the problem. Can you recommend another brand?

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I don't know what anti-damp paint and spray is, but I would try a stain blocking paint.

5. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin New Member

I have a 'stain stop' in a spray can which seems to work but is very widespread and i cannot use it in the narrow gap without covering everywhere in newspaper. I'll look for it in paint form.

The 'one coat damp seal' by Polycell was especially useful in covering a mould-ridden, damp corner of the porch and i had some left over so used it on the ceiling. The odour isn't pleasant but it really does stop damp/mould in its tracks.

6. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

0.5lt cover stain is £9 in a tin. Use a 4 inch mini roller. Give it 2 days to dry and paint over with emulsion. I tend to do the ceiling as stain blocked areas can be whiter when emulsioned if you prime patches. Guess you just want to do patches though and see how it goes

7. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin New Member

Thanks: yeah, it's only a patch job but i read that an oil-based paint is necessary to cover the patch before using an emulsion. That's where i've gone wrong.