Damp walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Nick England, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Nick England

Nick England New Member

I repainted the house in the summer. It's an old house, and suffers from damp on street level. The front rooms are about 6 inches below street level.

The walls had been covered in Sandtex, which is the worst paint for this type of house, as they naturally contain moisture and that paint traps it in. So I knocked back as much of that as possible, and then painted in limewash to help the house breathe a bit. The rest of the house is fine, but either side of the door remains damp, so the lime is always a different colour. The house goes darker when it rains as the lime soaks up the moisture, and then reverts back to it's normal shade when dry. Apart from either side of the door.

[​IMG]

Any ideas on how to fix this? The pointing in between the bricks will be redone once the weather turns a little warmer. Maybe the water is getting in there?

The drain in front of the house is in good condition, and is carrying the water away from the front.

I'm not sure whether removing a brick and adding an airbrick will make any difference. It could add come venting. Not sure.

Maybe I'll need to wait till the warmer weather comes and completely strip off the Sandtex where it's damp, let it dry and then limewash again.

I'm not going to go down the route of injecting damp coursing. The house is old, and that pushes the issue elsewhere. I need to figure out a way to try to get this brickwork dried out.

Not being a builder, I'm not sure which route to take.

Any ideas before I get someone in to take a look?

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Ruled out blocked/leaking gutters,had it here,when raining,water was overflowing gutter & the drop was just enough for water to hit wall by dinning room window.