Damp?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dual193, Feb 19, 2008.

1. dual193

dual193 New Member

Ok I am just throwing this out for some ideas on what my problem might be.
    I have damp on the second floor in the corner of two bedrooms at floor level but no signs of damp at ceiling level it is an old house (circa 1850) rendered a good while ago. I am thinking the rendering is weak and drawing damp inside, it is so damp that there are beads of condensation running down the wall..
    Any other ideas how this damp is getting in?

2. Brummie Taffy

Brummie Taffy New Member

Forget a prob with render its extremely likely its condensation. Thats typically where it forms and you've more or less answered the question. The subject has been covered many times here but its a winter prob and its due to high humdity, poor air circulation/ventialtion and cold walls which is where air is probably hitting its dew point and reverting to water.

Best get a whole house ventilator that sits in the loft as opposed to a decent fan in bathroom and kitchen. Will solve your prob. Had same prob myself this yr and put one in my house at beginning of winter and hey presto no more damp in corner of bedroom and mould gone too!

3. Perry525

Perry525 New Member

Taffy is right in what he says, however let me fill in some detail.
    People put water vapour into buildings, by general living, children (the most active) put in the most. Grown ups about 46cc of water vapour per hour. In total, with washing etc; each of us adds 2.5 litres of water per 24 hours.
    The next point. Condensation is caused by a drop in temperature. Each time the heating is turned down, or off, the air looses its ability to hold, that much water!
    It condenses onto any cold thing in the room as visible condensation but, as a very fine gas it finds its way into our beds, cloths, walls everything that isn't water vapour proof.
    A decent de-humidifier will dry the place out at much lower cost. You will recover its running cost as dry air is cheaper to heat than wet air.
    Another less comfortable solution is open the windows and let the humidity out into the garden.

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

open the windows.

5. clarkster

clarkster New Member

is there a problem in the other rooms? do they have open vents or air brick?
    my money is on penetrating damp due to poor/building maintenance or ropey pointing rendering. is the render cracked around that area? once water gets in its hard for it to escape or evaporate.

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Most likely condensation.

7. ecm

ecm New Member

Concur with the 'Dog. Open windows. let the room breathe.

8. Brummie Taffy

Brummie Taffy New Member

Keep it simple - condensation is the most common form of damp in buildings. Get a hygrometer and measure your humidity levels and you'll find its condensation. Forget about what clarkster is saying otherwise you'll throw money at unnessary repairs.

9. dual193

dual193 New Member

Thank you to all for the advise. I will fill in some of the gaps in original post.. I have got a dehumidifier and it is on most of the day.. the damp/ condensation is restricted to two parts of the bedrooms that are affected both outside corners at floor level, no where else in the rooms. Although the rendering is ready for chipping off and re-newing in a few places where the water is it looks pretty sound no bulging or flaking.

10. ecm

ecm New Member

cavity wall or solid? What's the original house construction brick/block?

11. dual193

dual193 New Member

solid 9" brick built circa 1850.

12. michaeljoseph008

michaeljoseph008 New Member

you have to search about the house making briks

Message was edited by: Screwfix Admin

13. Hammerman99

Hammerman99 New Member

Your problem is condensation. The wall that is worst is probably NE facing and takes most of the weather. I have seen so many problems this year as most of the winter has been mild. If you have double glazing then this is adding to the problem. Condensation can be overcome by a balance between heat and ventilation. It's not easy as you want everything sealed so you aren't letting heat escape but on the other hand we create damp from everyday living with showers, baths and even just our bodies and breathing. A dehumidifier can help as it removes damp from the atmosphere.