Danfoss TP One RF with TX1 S receiver Issues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Adrian Williams, May 5, 2020.

1. Adrian Williams

Adrian Williams New Member

Hi.

My elderly parents had me fit the above wireless heating controller to their old Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 combi only a few months ago and it worked great.

They've recently had a new WB Greenstar fitted - the new version of the same boiler.

The controller has been fitted but they're having issues.

A message on screen says RF LOST and the heating isn't coming on when it should (the unit screen shows that it's calling for heat and the 'heating on' symbols etc appears on screen, but the boiler isn't coming on - temp settings are all correct.)

However, if the 'up' button is pressed to increase temp, the boiler fires up straight away - so clearly, it is communicating with the boiler.

I have gone to the 'Pairing' function in the installer menu and I get the messages 'Ready to Pair' and
    then 'RF Pairing - RF OK'

Immediately after this, though, the original message 'RF LOST' appears.

Do any of you experts have experience of this unit and any advice on steps to take?

Thanks!

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

You state it worked fine until they had new boiler installed, has reciever been repositioned during latest install?

3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Have you tried pairing the units again? Usually a simple procedure to go through to ensure the two units are "paired" on initial setup so they are linked by RF. I don't have that model but have one similar.

4. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

Take batteries out of stat and reset base, start from the begining again

5. Adrian Williams

No - its in the same position and being tested with both units side by side.

6. Adrian Williams

THanks - yes, I've gone to the 'Pairing' function in the installer menu and I get the messages 'Ready to Pair' and
    then 'RF Pairing - RF OK' Immediately after this, though, the original message 'RF LOST' appears.

7. Adrian Williams

Thanks - I will try that.

8. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

I presume you fitted new batteries when you first installed? They should last at least 2yrs normal use, however may be worth checking or replacing?

Teki and Muzungu like this.
  9. Adrian Williams

Good point. I'd assumed as there was no battery warning showing on screen, that the batteries were fine. Will check that too. Thanks.

10. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Curious that manual heat command is received and actioned . Does the reverse work? Ie after the boiler has started a lowering of set temperature stops the boiler firing. If this is the case, the transmitter part of the thermostat is ok as is the receiver. I had this problem with a Salus 500RF, START command was received and actioned but somehow the STOP signal was never sent or received. After trying all pairing methods, new batteries etc, I gave up and bought a replacement. The newer model although externally identical worked on 866Mhz instead of 433. I wondered if there was interference but had no way of testing that.

11. Adrian Williams

I haven't tried the reverse process, but I will, when I next visit. I thought it was odd that it says RF LOST on screen, but clearly responds to demand for more heat.

12. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I suspect the RF LOST means that the thermostat module is not receiving signals from the boiler module. The first gen wireless systems, to save costs, had a transmitter (TX) in the thermostat module and a receiver (RX) in the boiler module. The thermostat TX broadcast blind not knowing if it’s signal was ever received. Later versions rebroadcast the signals so if the first message was lost the second would be picked up. This worked if there was interference. Latest ones like a Honeywell model use a true pairing method where both modules have TX/RX capability and are in contact with each other. With Honeywell, if the boiler module fails to hear from the thermostat module, after a certain period of time, it goes into a fail safe mode, shutting down the boiler.

don’t know about your system but suspect the software on thermostats checks for pairing before sending out a heat command. Maybe in manual mode it does not check. Most of the manufactures won’t reveal pairing details bar Honeywell who are obviously chuffed with their fail safe design.

13. Gerry57

Gerry57 New Member

Just to add my own experience with this from yesterday, I’d had low battery warning and changed those at which point I got the RF Lost warning. I re-paired which was successful but immediately the RF Lost message reappeared.

tested whether connection was good by raising/lowering temp to check boiler started/stopped and that was all ok but still had the RF Lost message.

scrolling through the menu options found the ‘error messages’ option and followed the op Tupi on to clear errors.

The RF Lost message was then cleared from the status screen. It’s a bit misleading that it displays the error on the status screen when it’s actually been a temporary blip and the connection is actually OK, they should really have a log area where old errors are stored once they are resolved.

14. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Well done for resolving this mystery as OP never came back. What happens when manufacturers gives insufficient attention to User interface and tries to cram as much info on a display not designed for it !

Gerry57 likes this.