Dark patches on ceiling - what is it?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by emzowozo, May 24, 2022.

1. emzowozo

emzowozo New Member

I want to know exactly how to tackle this. I would just paint over it but I’m not certain if there’s an underlying reason why there’s discolouration.
    There’s a lot of work to be done in this room, every where I look there seems to be a stain or patch.

At first I thought it was from where there was a leak from several years ago, that explains the yellow parts on the ceiling but I’m confused about the darker parts. EDCFD0D5-58A5-4128-BD53-558E3D9DFB2E.jpeg

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What room is above it? The obvious thing to suggest is a leaking bath, radiator or if loftspace, then a leaking roof.

3. emzowozo

emzowozo New Member

Above this room is the loft.
    There was a leaking valve 2 years ago but it was resolved.

I’m just concerned if any of this discolouration is a health hazard. Or if it’s just the matter of it not being appealing to look at?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Why would it be a health hazard :confused: it's a stain from a leak.

5. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Just a leak stain, sort leak, fix ceiling job done

emzowozo likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Apply the stain block as advised in your other post to seal it, once dry go over with an emulsion to finish it off looking grand again.;)

emzowozo likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

2 coats of stainaway from johnstone's is easy and nice to use. Water based brilliant white.
    Leave over 12 hours before you second coat. Cheap option too.

That's a water leak

emzowozo likes this.
  8. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Stain-block it and move on. The dark colour is just the filth it’s picked up and dissolved on the way down, which then dries out.

emzowozo likes this.
  9. emzowozo

emzowozo New Member

Perhaps I’m overthinking, I just thought it was mould. I can’t say I’ve seen dark water stains before, the yellow one makes sense to me but the gray-ish/black patches caught me off guard.