Deadleg in central heating system capped with John Guest Fitting

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deuxbiers, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Deuxbiers

Deuxbiers New Member

Plumber has finished our bathroom installation and I've just found under the floorboards 2 deadlegs on H&C central heating pipes capped with john guest end stops.

Is this acceptable as a permanent fix or should it be copper caps ?

I ask because I've lost all confidence in his as a professional after he bodged the shower installation and ended up wedging the shower riser pipe in place with sealant and ptfe tape - but that's another story!

Thanks for for advice.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It will start a long discussion about the merits of solder v push fit! Or should they be compression?

If the pipe new/old and is it metric or imperial? If old imperial then probably no, with metric and clean pipe yes.

Will they be used in future?

3. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Just encourage him to cap off the F&R (Flow & Return) pipes with end feed caps. Let him know you don't feel confident with the ones he used. Chances are he may ask to be paid to change them.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pfff! plastic, end feed copper every time.:)

Joe95 likes this.
  5. John Guest push-fits are perfectly ok in all parts of the CH and DHW system - unions, tees, elbows, tap connectors, reducers etc etc etc but NOT to cap off deadlegs.

For some reason that is NOT acceptable.

Only kidding...

longboat likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Apart from the choice of end cap used, is there any issue in creating 2 dead legs in the system ?

7. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

For me it would just give me peace of mind to solder end caps. If the system was empty it would have only added two minutes to the job. In fact I was replacing a couple of floor boards for a customer last year and I noticed that two pipes under the boards had been capped off with push fit so I replaced them with copper, I didn't have to but we're supposed to do our best for customers rather than everything having to be done in a rush. It cost me about 60p and took minutes. I'm sure they would have been fine but as I say, for me it gives me peace of mind.

8. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I think your less likely to get water "hammer" with them than you are with the hot and cold system. How long are they?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You can use any compression fitting with a coin in the place of the olive, 2p for 22mm and 5p for 15mm. It works well as a temporary end cap...

IMG_7823.JPG

10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Hot water and central heating deadlegs are a big no no as you run the risk of creating a breeding ground for the Legionella bacterium.
    Whilst it is almost impossible to remve completly all dead legs they shopuld be kept as short as is physically possible.
    As for push fit under a floor I wont personally but as has been said it works.

KIAB likes this.
  11. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Speedfit or hep is perfectly fine to use, not so sure about the reliability of other makes though. As above, keep the deadlegs as short as possible.

Reading it all here now though - using coins as end caps. Occasionally come across this because they've leaked.....
    Joe, this is a plumbers forum, if you're not a plumber don't post. Don't go giving us a bad name by recommending rubbish fixes such as yours. Tut.

12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

So your the one then :rolleyes:

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also use to work with pre decimal coins as well, but I can't which ones.

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

There is absolutely no need to be such a grump.
    I would not recommend them, I was simply pointing out they work. There is nothing wrong with suggesting it as anyone with an ounce of common sense would realize they are not suitable.

I use solder caps for permanent capping, and for anything that needs temporary capping I use the push-fit ends. I don't yet have faith in them for permanent install.

KIAB likes this.
  15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I keep them in my caravan! Would you like your driveway re-done too? :D:D

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Neither would I never recommend them, but I've come across old compresion end caps which have pre decimal coins used.:eek:

And years ago I used a old pre decimal penny in a 32mm compression fitting to make a temporary end stop for plough up 32mm mdpe pipe on a farm.:eek:

Joe95 likes this.
  17. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Definitely not being a grump Joe. :)
    But re-read your post - you did recommend using coins......."You can use any compression fitting with a coin in the place of the olive, 2p for 22mm and 5p for 15mm".
    Lets hope as you say that the only people that read this forum have common sense!o_O

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Out of interest does it matter if there's air in the dead legs - quite possible for it to happen I imagine? If so, does the use of removable push fit caps mean that it can at least be removed to an extent? I've often wondered this and where better to ask than a plumbers' forum?

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Lead was so much easier to cap off. You could just crush the pipe and if that wasn't enough you could add a bit of solder.
    The good ol' days;).

longboat and KIAB like this.
  20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, lugging around coils of lead pipe, persuading cast iron bath's up the stairs, erecting soil pipes made from heavy metal and breathing in all those wholesome fumes when soldering.
    I, for one, am not even sure if I was born.
    But if I am, I'm thankful that it wasn't in the old days.:D

Joe95 likes this.