Dealing with a step gable roof and cold walls. How to insulate?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lee Morris, May 25, 2021.

1. Lee Morris

Lee Morris New Member

Hi,

I live in a 1870s terraced house with a fairly large step gable that leaves my attic (not an issue) and parts of the cavity less walls of my 2 bedrooms exposed. There is an alcove in the 2 rooms where roughly half of the walk gets mould and/or damp build up due to the cold. I have removed the plaster in one of the rooms and I don't believe there is any water coming though from the outside. I am also then wanting to build purpose built wardrobes to fill these spaces.

I have read through various threads on here and other sites and believe I know what I need to do to resolve the issue but would be grateful if people could clarify my ideas.

1. Create a stud wall and this should be built off the wall, leaving a space between the wood and the wall. If I do need to leave that gap, how big should it be? Space is a bit of an issue so I'd only like to build it off to the minimum amount. Also how many vertical supports should I put within the stud wall or would one be sufficient?

2. Pack the gaps with rockwool batts. I presume this is cheaper than celotax? Do I need push the rockwool so that it's packed and touching the wall or should it be sat off it? Should I also use foil tape to stick the rockwool in place?

3. Over this nail a vapour control layer membrane over all of the stud wall. Should this be taped to the walls and stud wall? Can anyone recommend one because I lot of them I have found are vapour control barriers, which I believe would completely stop moisture from evaporating though this layer and cause issues?

4. Then on top of the VCL I can screw in the plasterboard. Should this be insulated or will normal plasterboard be enough?

5 finally I'll be building the wardrobes on top on this, which should also help with mitigating the cold space and stop damp/mould from forming but obviously I don't want to cause mould/damp to appear in the wardrobe and on the close. Also because this is going to be in built i would rather over compensate, so I don't have to rip it out in 6 months.

Sorry for the long post and I would be grateful for any feedback. Thank you

2. Lee Morris

Lee Morris New Member

Sorry for the bump but could really do with a little help. Thank you