dealing with hygroscopic patches

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by IDG, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. IDG

    IDG New Member

    I've first tried this query on the painters' forum, but nobody rose to it, so am trying again here:

    I'm a chippy just embarking on a renovation of a Victorian terrace house for myself. There are several spots, on or near chimney breasts or fireplaces, where there is apparent damp which I think is probably due to the presence of hygroscopic salts in the background - I believe these can arise from long-term use of fossil fuels? (There's no actual efflorescence).
    If I'm right, I guess ventilation will help? But is there any way to actually neutralise the salts? Or can anyone recommend a specialist paint that will go over spots like this, either to treat them or to mask/seal them?

    Happy Easter!

    IDG
     
  2. SDSMax

    SDSMax New Member

    try the builders forum.
     
  3. PowerTool

    PowerTool New Member

    Are the chimneys still in use ?
    Just my thoughts,but - you are right that damp is often caused by lack of ventilation,so definitely woth looking at.
    And salts are generally alkali/caustic,so might be worth trying brick acid to neutralise them ?
     
  4. Tony Soprano

    Tony Soprano New Member

    i think your chimneys are no longer in use and are blocked quite an easy test is to get a smoke match and text it,if they are blocked then you need to install some vents at th top of the chimney maybe a couple of breather bricks,it seems like a ventilation problemand if chimneys are blanked off without breathers this is likely to occur
     
  5. paintycait

    paintycait New Member

    I posted to your query on Painters forum
     

Share This Page