Dealing with knots on doorframe - best way please?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by polybear, Feb 24, 2021.

1. polybear

polybear Member

Hello,
    I'm about to repaint a doorframe I installed back in the mid 1990's; all knots on the new/bare pine were treated with knotting at the time (Rustin's I think) and then the door-frame primed and painted (Dulux oil-based gloss from memory.
    Fast forward to today and I want to give the frame a freshen up. The knots now show thru' the paintwork in several places and have been like that for many years; there's no weeping/seeping or roughness etc. - just a knot shadow.
    What's the best way to deal with this please? (The last thing I want to do is to go rubbing the frame right back again). I may still have some of the 1990's vintage paint (it hasn't done too bad [25+years] - it's yellowed when compared to the B&Q pre-finished door of the same vintage, though I suspect it's a lot better for not yellowing as much as recent OB paints); alternatively maybe Crown Fastflow Satin, with the correct primer and rubbing the frame down to give a key beforehand? I've attached a photo - many thanks for the help :)
    Brian

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Weapon of choice after sanding the frame apply a couple of coats of Zinsser BIN feathering out the edges......plan B, drill out the knot and fill the hole.

polybear likes this.
  3. polybear

polybear Member

Jeez, that was quick...you're on fire today Astra :D
    From your reply am i correct in thinking that the BIN only needs to go on the knots - hence the feathering?
    Many thanks :)

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No need in this instance to use it anywhere else unless as a primer on new timber.

polybear likes this.
  5. polybear

polybear Member

That's great - many thanks for the help Astra :)

Astramax likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Looks like the OP is considering painting over the old oil based paint with water based paint now as he’s mentioned Crown Fastflow

So, in this instance, would it not be better to prime all the timber with the BIN to improve adhesion between the oil and water based paint (whist acting to also seal the knots) ?

Zinsser 123 usually recommended as the primer between oil and water based but you also have the issue of the knots to deal with so thinking the BIN will deal with both issues here ?

It’s more a question Astra so chill babes :)

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be fair I do use 123 as a belt and braces when I am painting over an aged oil paint, others will say following a good sand over and providing a good key for the water base paint this should be sufficient but hey ho never had a problem as yet with paint failing and peeling off with this method. I am not a fan of BIN for an all over primer as it is not as forgiving in its application as 123 which is far quicker to apply and without the solvent fumes which is a huge plus point.

Thank you for your concerns Dave but I am chilled as from tomorrow I become a Senior Citizen! :(:eek:.

8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Congratulations!
    Cando

Astramax likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Congratulations for reaching such a monumental milestone, although with your choice of emojis, it looks like your facing this with dread ?

Just have to accept it really as the numbers keep growing and the years seem to roll by ever quicker - we have zero control over this so embrace with open arms

All the best