Decent Stud Scanner

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Lijong Tao, May 22, 2020 at 2:59 AM.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

I bought one recently from Amazon and it was useless. Done a Google search and they;re mostly for the USA market and unavailable here. Can anyone recommend a multi-use stud/ac/,metal finder.

I know the studs are supposed to be either 400mm or 600 the norm but the house I live in (Jack lived there previously) some studs are 700, one wall seems only to have one in the entire wall and the pb is coming apart.

help is appreciated.

2. quasar9

quasar9 Active Member

IMHO, I have yet to find one that’s better than approximating the position of the stud. You have to effectively triangulate it yourself from multiple vague readings. They are a bit better in finding pipes and live wires but often can’t differentiate between dead cables and pipes. I think they work better in US as most houses there are of timber constructions. In UK, with various building methods they rarely work well, the older the building the worse the performance. I know a builder and a few electricians, who find studs by tapping lightly with a screwdriver handle while feeling for vibration with the other hand. For them it works !

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 7:42 AM
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I bought my Zircon one years ago when I was living in the USA. It worked well over there, but for some strange reason doesn't work very well here.
    It's probably something in the make-up of the plasterboard, or the fact that most people in the UK skim coat their plasterboard, while the Americans only spackle the screw holes and taped joints.
    I guess it could even be the paint.
    I've almost given up trying to use it (too many false positives and fault negatives), and just 'sound it out' as well as I can.

4. sparky steve

sparky steve Active Member

They’re really not that reliable, i just tap along the wall. You know when you have located a stud as Tapping on a spot where a stud exists will produce a solid sound. Every place where there isn’t a stud will produce a hollow sound.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A magnet is a really quick, cheap and useful tool for finding studs as it will pick up the screws and nails used to secure the plasterboard. It doesn't take long to map out all the studs on on average wall. This works for timber and metal studs but noggings might not get picked up if the board hasn't been fixed to them.

It's obviously useless if the board has been glued on (increasingly common) and no good for services either.

Jord86 likes this.
  6. robgul

robgul Member

I bought a Silverline one a couple of weeks ago (from ebay) - seems to work OK .... a lot more accurate than the ancient Plasplugs one I had from about 30 years ago.

Rob

7. sparky steve

sparky steve Active Member

Apparently the female of the species are the best stud scanners?:eek::oops:

8. Tuxornot

Tuxornot Active Member

Dunno about that Steve, Mrs Tux ended up with me, her scanner was way off, Also when she hangs up pictures, its always the void :D

sparky steve likes this.
  9. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Thanks guys. I will buy some magnets but am pretty sure it is dot and dab behind the plasterboard. I cut an inspection hole today and couldn't see any batons. Will try it to ensure and they will come in for other walls. Thank you all.

sparky steve likes this.