Deciding how to decorate outside piping

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I am in the process of finishing off painting my house.

Need some advice regarding the best way to decorate the downspouts, soil stack and gas pipe.

As the entire house will be in white, was contemplating painting these white as well. My only concern is white flaky paint with a black surface underneath looks tacky.

If I keep them black, I would give them a bit of a touch up as the odd bit of white paint will flick onto them.

Is there a particular paint you would recommend for using on these pipes.

Any advice appreciated.

Video attached.

Cheers

IM

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Iron_Mike likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

As above, superb paint, minimal prep needed, no primer or undercoat required (unless painting over bare/rusty metal), water based

A bit more pricy than other paints, possibly but, its quality
    Great finish on plastic, metal, previously painted surfaces

Quick rub down on pipes, wash down, allow to dry, get the MSP on !

I'm sure kiab can mention the word Toolstation, especially as SF don't sell the stuff so no problem eh :)

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Not tempting fate, had my knuckles rapped mentioning the competitor by name & posting link.:oops:

Iron_Mike likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

MSP Gloss is unavailable unless you want Soft Gloss which has a pretty poor shine to it, Bedec Barn paint is available in gloss black and also white though. Toolstation sell MSP but have no gloss only soft gloss.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  6. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers guys.

Sounds like a great paint to use.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

That’s strange as I’ve mentioned both ‘The Competitor’ and the word ‘Toolstation’ in several of my posts and have never been spoken to by the Head Master

I’ve even pointed out on a few occasions when the exact same item has been cheaper at the name that mustn’t be mentioned place

Again, never been publicly or privately flogged (not by SF anyway)

In this instance, how can SF get tetchy when a product is clearly fantastic for the OPs situation and yet they don’t sell it

Not knocking SF, they’re great, (just like Frosties) but, they don’t sell every product known to man and their prices can be less than competitive at times, on specific items of course

Apart from that, Screwfix, love ya :)

8. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Get it clean. Sand although those decorating scotch pads are easy and quick to scour the surface up, another good clean maybe with meths then a all surface paint as above.

Iron_Mike likes this.