Decision time!!!!!!!!! maybe!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Astramax, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

What car to purchase for my retired years................Having owned a Honda 4x4 for the last few years and taking into consideration that the only time it see's a garage is when it drives past one or for an MOT/service an absolute dream to own so was looking towards another Honda... maybe.....Jazz 1.5 Sport coz I love the reliability of Honda, suggestions to others cars to consider would be most welcome. :)

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I have an 18 year old Lexus and have had a similar experience. There's something to be said about having a "boring" Japanese car.

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Yes, exactly, thing is you only know that when you have owned one.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Sister in law has a Honda Jazz and been very happy with it. Seat Ibiza is similar and the "class leader", worth a look at.

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Actually, shouldn't you be going for a Vauxhall?

6. techie

techie Member

Do they do an Astra Max...?
    mines a boring volvo.....

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Since 2003 my car was a 1.9 diesel VW Golf TDI Match, it was always a fantastic car. Loved it to bit's, but last year saw the end of it's life, so had to look to something else. Like you @Astramax i'm not far from retirement, as a widower though have no one else to consider.
    I already have a very fast bike (Ducati 1098s), but have never owned a fast luxury car. After a lot of test drives and a good look at finances settled on a BMW 635 diesel sport, second hand with only 71,000 on the clock. It's a keeper :D, as fast as ya like, complete comfort all day long, 50mpg if you stick below 70mph, comes as standard with every extra that BMW can throw at a car and does 155mph when on certain German roads............................handles like a dream, stops on a sixpence, what's not to like.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    longboat and Hans_25 like this.
  8. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Maybe ask Noddy if you can buy his car Astrafax. I think would be a perfect match! :p

9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I'm another boring Japanese car owner. I have two Toyota Yaris - one petrol and one diesel. Both are fantastic!
    Touching wood, I have yet to do anything on them other than changing the oil and checking the tyres.
    I did blow the fuse of the brake light with one of them, but that turned out to be a fault in the wiring of a trailer I had plugged in to the trailer socket!

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I would certainly steer away from a diesel, so many towns now looking to limit their access, especially if you plan to keep it. Also I would not consider an EV for a long term ownership. So petrol it is.
    If you are not fussy about brands I would look at Skoda.
    I loved my 330d touring, would I want to personally pay for maintenance... no £250+ for a tyre that you can’t puncture repair and driven they way you should does not last too long ;). I’m sure they just pick numbers when you by parts for the BMWs Merc’s etc

11. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Yes, my daughter has a new Ibiza, they are nice cars.:)

12. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

No, been there a few times.:(

13. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Had a few over the years, not over impressed!:(

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Irrespective of make, an automatic to give your knees a rest in their ‘twilight years’ ;) Something reliable would be the order of the day, so a VW, or Honda as you’ve already testified to.

15. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Sorry to hear that part of your life, been their and can feel the pain. :(

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a diesel Ford C Max,more than happy with it, looking to put a set of MICHELIN Cross Climate tyres on it in a few months.

17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Most modern Diesel's still produce less polution than petrol, reason? because they have a very very expensive DPF that wipe's the floor with a petrol CAT. Most, if not all research that was done to "prove" that diesel was the end of all our kids and grandkids ability to breath is based on 20 year old stats that take no account at all of up to date tech or even up to date law.

By the way, it's perfectly possible to repair a puncture in a "run flat"..........................as long as you don't actually use any of the national chains of tyre rip off merchants.

rogerk101, longboat and Astramax like this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Still got trapped wind I see foolpc.

gadget man likes this.
  19. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Do the indicators work on your Beamer Kitfit - they don't seem to on most of the others out there...?

kitfit1 likes this.
  20. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Thank's for that Astramax, it was 10 years ago now.........................but not forgotten.