Deck post foundation

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Simurgh, May 10, 2021.

?

Which would you recommend

1. a) Postcrete/concrete the post in the ground

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. b) Place the post in a concrete base and fill the rest of the hole with gravel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. c) Place the post on a concrete pillar using anchors

100.0%
  1. Simurgh

Simurgh New Member

I am planning a garden deck which is 4.7M by 3.2M. The ground is on a slope so at one end it will be raised, the soil is heavy clay. From what I have read I am planning on the depth at 700mm.

The problem is that there is so much different information regarding how to secure the posts.

The options I have are:

a) Postcrete/concrete the post in the ground

b) Place the post in a concrete base and fill the rest of the hole with gravel

c) Place the post on a concrete pillar using anchors

Wicks guide says to Postcrete them in, many others say to use anchors on concrete pillars. Whilst searching these I found an other option of having post in the concrete at the bottom of the hole and filling the hole with gravel. (one such site https://www.prowoodlumber.com/en/Blog/2018/March/How-to-Properly-Install-Deck-Posts)

This is possibly going to be more opinion than it is one way is right or wrong?

Please could someone give me some advise?

Have you done one and think you should have done it differently? Or have you done one and had no negatives to dissuade from doing it in the future?

Based on other such discussions I may end up using concrete mix rather than Postcrete, but that is more of a decision based on cost.

Thank you for reading

2. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Member

Id do whatever I could to avoid post in ground/below round level. Im using something like these, https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/571957221422861607/ concreted in, to raise the posts out of the ground. If there is any issue ever with a post, it can also simply be changed with minimal fuss.

masterdiy likes this.