Deck post

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by mcb199, Jul 10, 2013.

1. mcb199

mcb199 New Member

I'm fitting some newel posts along with handrail and spindles around my deck. I have fitted the posts on the outside of the deck. I have used bolts and tightened them up on the inside of the frame. But they are not as solid as i would want them and they are moving when they are leant on. Is there anything I can do to stop this and reinforce them?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Put these on the bolts between the post and the joist.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. mcb199

mcb199 New Member

Will they be strong enough to prevent any movement of the post? Someone suggested using a PU resin adhesive. Might just use both to be on the safe side

4. Mr. Handyandy

They should be strong enough. They are the sort of thing used with bolts to to joint house joists in some situations.
    For the post/posts where you have bolted through the remaining quarter, you may need a dowel up the centre of the post, down through the board and into the joist.
    I should say that your problem is that the joists are not deep enough, your bolts are too close together to stop the leverage.
    Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. mcb199

mcb199 New Member

6. mcb199

mcb199 New Member

Just put up a couple of photos of the posts. The joists are 4 x 2. would it also be worth putting another section of timber on the inside of the joist and bolt though that aswell as this will add more distance so the bolt won't be as close together?

7. surfermick

surfermick New Member

bolts are to close together and theyneed to be spacedcorner to corner, you have no real bracing going on there. also as Andy says use those washes between the two bits of wood, that will help.

8. Mr. Handyandy

That'll still leave the bolts the same distance apart. From here the bolts look like they are 30mm and 60mm up. To keep from moving, they would need to be 40mm and 140mm apart. You can't do this obviously. To stabilise them(the main full posts) you could put two 100mm screws from inside through the joist into the post.(Drill and pilot accordingly) The best place for those screws in relation to the bolts would be a 'T' position(the screws being at the outer ends of the top of the T. There is also the possibilty of adding a wide 'L' bracket to the post/joist(4 25mm screws), under the board.
    For me, I would put one star washer on bottom bolt betweem post and joist, and two 100mm screws from inside.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. mcb199

mcb199 New Member

I will give that a go. Thanks for all your help

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you can add as many screws, serrated washers and brackets as you like but unless you provide some form of support for the top of the post - it will still move

it needs a return building in

11. Addison001

Addison001 New Member

Message was edited by: Screwfix Peter

12. surfermick

surfermick New Member

i think Andy's right here, 3 fixings are necassary, but myself i would use one bolt bottom centre and 2 bolts top as far apart asthe post allows.using the star washers in all 3.

13. mcb199

mcb199 New Member

How would I build a return into what I've already got there?

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

post a picture showing the extent of the railing, across the entire deck - I'd want to know what you want it to look like when it's finished

If you've just fixed a single post (as shown) but have not yet fitted the top rails or spindles then that single post is bound to have some movement