Decking, decking, decking......

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Liam91910, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Liam91910

Liam91910 New Member

Hi all. I'm wanting in the next week or so to start getting my garden ready to fit a ground level composite deck. I haven't done this type of thing before and just want to make sure I'm doing the frame OK. Basically I have a wall running along the back of my garden and intend to resin threaded bar into the brick to fix a ledger board to (I want this to last) then carry on building the frame from there. The width will be 10m and depth around 2m. The questions I have are more to do with how to support it in the soil at the front edge and in the middle. What is going to be the easiest and most sufficient kind of way to do it? I believe either pad foundations or concreting 100 x 100 tanalised posts into the ground but which one should I go for? Also if I need to dig holes what size would be sufficient and is postcrete fine to set the timber in? I've heard it's a good idea to paint the timber using a bitumen paint if setting in concrete. I do know the bearers need to be sat off the soil and a membrane added with gravel over. Just want to make sure it will last for years.

Cheers all.

chippie244 likes this.
  2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

You sound like you have all the bases covered. You could use 5" thunderbolts instead of threaded bar and chemical anchor, bit easier to work with if you're not so experienced.

3. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

I have just removed my 9 mtr area of wooden decking as now rotten. Only lasted 10 years. Lower corner of garden is very damp.
    So don't wish to do all that again in another 10 years, so, concrete its going to be.

Built a block wall, & filled in to within 15mm of top of block work & rear shuttering.
    Then I have filled the reaming top section of 15mm with resin bond. (never tried this before) Silver granite 1-3mm
    The filled in center IMG_20180405_141031 (1).jpg IMG_20180421_192700 (1).jpg was left 15mm lower & then a slope of some 40mm was allowed for water run off, as the surface is permeable.
    Following the instructions, I finished this morning. Will take a last pic in daylight tomorrow.

4. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

Liam, quote " What is going to be the easiest and most sufficient kind of way to do it? I believe either pad foundations or concreting 100 x 100 tantalized posts into the ground but which one should I go for? "

I would suggest concrete pads. Post will then last longer.

5. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Use thunder bolts as Jord mentioned. No need for rod and resin. Put a square of marine ply between the timber and wall at every fixing to pack it off the wall. This way, moisture won't get trapped between the wall and timber. Make sure you don't block any cavity vents.

6. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

Resin Bond, done.
    Turned out quite easy.

Next project is to resin bond the outside steps. IMG_20180505_134306 (3).jpg