Decking Fixings

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Shedmen, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

I have invariably used screws either fastenmaster or stainless steel for fixing decking. I have never bothered with clips. Slight personal preference fixing with a screw and cost to client.

However I now have someone who doesn't want to puncture their timber.

http://www.deckingclipenterprises.com/index.htm

Any one used these? They would appear to be insanely expensive about 77p inc. vat each! but are stainless. The stealth clips as on this site just do not inspire me with quality or confidence.

Any thoughts

Shedmen

2. jonah.

jonah. New Member

I thought about them when I did mine but opted for screwing them down. Just a thought but how do you fix the last board without seeing a row of clips. I suppose you screw it down!!

Cheers - jonah

3. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

That's precisely what I have been asking myself? It also makes things more complicated when laying the deck boards at an angle which often looks more attractive.

But the cost factor is amazing the area my client wants decked is only around 7 square metres but these things would add about £180.00 if my math is correct.

Shedmen

4. jonah.

jonah. New Member

It doesn't seem that 'positive' a fixing either. Presumably you lay 1st board then slide one of these babies under the board driving the spike into the first board then screw down the clip in the exposed hole.

All seems fine in theory but I just wonder how successful they are when you try fixing down a board with a bit of a bend on it. Easy to remove when you screw direct, but via a spike and through a bracket screwed on one side, dunno. I could be wrong - I have not used them.

jonah

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Can't you use these? They work out at 11p each.

BB

6. jonah.

jonah. New Member

7. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Yes jonah, it would have helped if I had posted the link. Some days I don't know where my head is.

BB

8. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Have you used them british blue?

9. britishblue

britishblue New Member

No, I've not done any decking at all.

BB

10. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Thanks BB they seem to be less likely to fix down properly than the others but I suppose I could buy the £120 cramping tool that comes with the others.

Depends really on what the client wants but seems a hell of a lot to me for not necessarily any better job.

Shedmen

11. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

Hi Blokes.....i'm not a chippy....Yeah, rip me to bits if you want, but 3 or 4 years ago, I bought a decking kit from screwfix & it included similar galvanised clips to hold down the planks. I can't remember exactly what they were like, as they are now hidden under the decking, but you are quite right that you cannot fix every plank with them. The 1st & last planks I skew screwed at 45 degrees into the joists. I do remember that I had to clamp and/or bash the planks together, so although it wasn't exactly a quick job, it looks quite neat & no planks have lifted or warped.

12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

shed, have you checked with the client if he'll allow you to cut the decking to length.

or does he want you to grow the trees to suit :)

13. !!

!! Active Member

One option I had to go for once was fixing 2x2 to the joists and screwing down the deck boards from underneath(***** of a customer insisted).

Never used those clips but they look a pain in the rump

14. Zapette

Zapette New Member

Hello S

Have only used the Simpson Strongties - bloody useless - boards moved all over the place. Im afraid Im a fastenmaster fan ...but you knew that.

Regards Z

15. The Hay

The Hay New Member

Shedmen,
    I've never used them.....but I don't fancy them much.
    I always use screws. No holes would be great but I just can't see these things holding.

I only use green heartwood larch you see and it is pretty good at moving about.

Is the deck smooth? What size?
    Only asking as I suppose plugs are out of the question? A right long job but all time (therefore cash to you) rather than forking out for expensive fixtures that oyu'll really not be able to mark up.

I've never plugged a deck, but I do dowel any screwholes in treads, newels etc.

At least then you could use solid, positive fixture AND keep the clean lines of the deck.

Clients, eh?

16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

http://www.deckfastener.com/for_professionalscontractors.asp

got a job on in iroko and cant use screws so am using these, never used them before, must admit it looks like a bit of a labor intensive process, not at the decking stage for another week yet, but will let you know how it goes, also have to plug the first and last boards, bl00dy architects for you...

17. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Wiggy where are you getting them from in the UK?

Cheers

Shedmen

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

19. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Thanks Wiggy

Shedmen

20. JamesG

JamesG New Member

Hi Shed

I have not tried these particular fixings but a have used the 'Stealth' clips they sell here. They are very fast to lay but I had to go back to the job and screw the boards down because they moved so much.

hope that helps