Decking over a pond

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Darren Bridle, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Darren Bridle

Darren Bridle New Member

hi all,

Firstly apologies to pond enthusiasts!

We recently moved into a new house. The previous owners had a pond but they filled it with gravel. I’m not really that fussed with a pond, but what I do need is somewhere to put my garden furniture so we can dine outside (bbq’s etc)

The pond is surrounded by a wall, that is approx 30cm thick. I want to secure the deck onto of these walls. The pond is obviously not rectangular, however it’s not circular either, with the walls being straight at least.

My joists will be going across the narrow portion of the pond, at its widest this is 460cm. The widest length for the decking being 560cm.

I have a few questions I’m hoping someone could help me with.

1). Should I create a frame and add a ledger around the outside?

2) if not a ledger, how would I go about bolting the hoist hangers to the wall? I’m slightly concerned that typically joists are on house walls, not low concrete walls!

3). The pond is filked with gravel and it’s quite shallow now, do I need posts cemented into the ground or can I get away with something less permanent to hold the joists up?

4) because the pond is not a rectangle, I’m assuming a ledge framework might be the way to go, however, if I don’t need a ledger how do I deal with the fact that the hangers may not be at right angles to the joists? Can I attach wood to the stone wall to make it square? Perhaps this point, means I may need a ledger anyway?

Hope that all makes sense? I’m somewhat confident with deck building but this project seems a little more complicated?

Regards,

Darren

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo's.:)

3. Darren Bridle

Darren Bridle New Member

Ok, will post when I’m home ;)