Decking Quote

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by gibbsy09, May 24, 2021.

1. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Hi just been quoted £2,035.00 for decking, never had it before, but I thought this price was a bit steep, 1,035.00 material, £1,000.00 installation.
    Was going to be raised above this concrete. USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1619455150901_6792487217244718977.jpeg

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you've never had it before how do you know it is steep? You don't state the size of the deck, dimensions of the timbers used, method of construction ie paving slabs or concreting posts into the ground, type of deck board, etc.

3. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Well-Known Member

The only way to know if it is expensive is to get some more quotes. If he is a joiner I’m not surprised he’s charging so much, try a landscaper/Gardner perhaps.

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Best to price up the materials yourself, then when you get further quotes you know if it is a realistic cost.
    It doesn't sound like much thought went into the labour cost of £1000. If it was 3 full days work, I would have thought around £600 or less.

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

i'm not sure that * will be too chuffed about you posting his quote on a public forum saying its a bit steep. At the very lead his email address and phone number is personal information and should not be disclosed publicly.

best get some more quotes to judge the cost in your area

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2021
  6. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

Agreed bit harsh to give everyone access to his information. He may not particularly want the job hence giving a steep price. I know most of us here have probably done this before, especially when through busy periods. If you get the job then ideal, if not then oh well carry on with whatever we are doing. Get a few more quotes, it will give a better idea of if a quote is 'steep' or not. Its only 1 quote you've had and you say you haven't researched prices or local labour costs etc so I'm unsure how you can call this steep with nothing else to go off?

stevie22 and pppmacca43 like this.
  7. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I think that quote is squarely in the ball-park for a job like this.
    A quick look on the shawfield timber website shows that the materials would come to about £650 - so maybe a bit of a steep mark-up unless you are also adding hand-rails? And assuming that it's just timber decking?

8. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Hi I know it was a bad move after I uploaded it I realised my mistake, I tried deleting the PDF but I couldn't, is there a way I could get the admin to delete the PDF expensive or not I think it was in bad taste by me and I'd like to delete the PDF.

I've asked it be deleted it was stupid of me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2021
    pppmacca43 likes this.