Decking Treatment?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Martin.Stone, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

2 years ago I gave my decking 2 good coats of clear oil, the wood is clean and tidy as the majority is actually undercover. This year I want to treat it again but I fancied giving it some colour. My question is as it's had oil on what would you put on this year? Can I stain straight on top or shall I just stick with oil and maybe a darker oil? Any advice gratefully received

2. Hi Martin.

Is the old oil nicely weathered? If so, then I would strongly recommend first giving your decking a dousing spray of wood treatment such as Everbuild Lumberjack. Nice and easy to apply, water-based, and this will preserve your decking against rot. Pay particular attention to the ends of each deck board, every screw/nail that holds it down, and also the end grains of all the posts and joists. But, spray it all - just soak it.

Do this in nice warm dry weather, and allow it to fully dry.

Then, yes, simply choose the colour of oil you wish to use - I've always found oil is the best stuff as it soaks properly in and 'nourishes' the timber.

I've found that the oil colour tends to be darker than expected if anything, and of course it becomes darker still with coats applied, so perhaps err on the side of a slightly lighter shade to begin with - you can always go darker.

(Or see what other folk have used, and copy the ones you like...)

Martin.Stone likes this.
  3. Martin.Stone

Martin.Stone Member

A stain won't really work will it as it won't be able to soak in? Does the wood treatment soak in?

4. The existing decking oil will prevent some of the Lumberjack from soaking in if it's still active and 'oily', but if it hasn't been coated for a couple of years then fair chance some of it will get through, especially the ends grains and around screw and nail holes which are the really vulnerable parts.

Decking oil is good stuff as it soaks in to a fair extent, and then it repels water. However, it doesn't preserve the timber and frankly the preservative used these days on pre-treated timber is pretty weak (sis-in-law bought an 8-year old house and all the hefty 6x4 fence posts were completely rotten from ground level downwards - I literally scooped out the rotting pulp from the concrete surrounds.) So, if any rain or damp does get past the decking oil, it'll still ultimately cause rot.

So, the purpose of the Lumberjack is to preserve the timber, that's all - it isn't a 'finish'. By soaking it (use a pressurised garden sprayer) it'll go wherever rain would, so it'll give the timber a good fighting chance.

Then oil it for water-repelling reasons and to prevent drying and splitting of the timber - oh, and to make it look good. The two products do completely different tasks.

Choose a spell of warm dry weather and the Lumberjack will be soaked in to any vulnerable area.

I believe it's really worth doing.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. J.G

J.G New Member

I have been looking at Screwfix No Nonsense Antislip Decking Stain. One reviewer said it was more like paint than stain, does that mean the grain will not show through? Has any member used it? Can it be thinned to act more like a stain?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Try Barrettine Decking Oil, superb product.