Decking - what fixings? Too many options!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Alex Powell, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Alex Powell

Alex Powell New Member

Hey all,

I'm going to create two large areas of decking in my garden, both will consist of floating decks made of smaller sections, I have all of the timber being delivered next week, along with the plans etc to do it, I'm just at a loss with what fixings to use for the frame areas.

There are 3 different areas I need help with:

- I'm going to build several independently supported frames joined together, the small area will have 4x2 outer joists, the larger area will have 6x2 outer joists. When making the frames, the joists will be fixed together at corners, I was planning on using 6mm x 100mm rust proof pozi drive screws but I've seen some bolt head coach screws (8x100mm) which look pretty substantial, I'm unsure if I need to use the coach screws or if some decent 6x100 screws will be fine. Throughout the various decking sections there will be internal joists spaced at 400mm and noggins at 1.2M apart.

- I will then need to join 4x2/6x2 frames to upright 3x3 posts, Im planning on using coach screws with bolt heads(8x120mm) to fix the frame to the uprights firmly in place, is this enough?

- finally, any recommendations on screws for fixing the deck boards down with? There seem to be so many types!

Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks for your time,
    Alex