Decks

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by !!, Apr 21, 2007.

1. !!

!! Active Member

since decking season has arrived

do you Screw down or Nail down?

2. neither...I use grab adhesive

You want grabbed by the goolies

Screw It, clips are also available.

3. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

I've not used grab adhesive myself but I suppose it is an option. There are special screws for decking which are coated with a sort of oxidized copper effect which means they are green in colour and therefore almost invisible. They also have a thread which allows them to countersink themselves without the need to pre-drill. I suppose the argument would be which is cheaper. If you don't want a phone call in the future asking why all your decking has come adrift I would suggest the screws are the best option!

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

screw down with decking screws ie short threaded. use a screw that is al least twice the nominal thickness of the board. galvanised screws go rusty very quick

nailing is an option, use ring shanks and a soft nose on your paslode. nails dont always pull warped boards flat

hidden fixings take longer to install and have little chance of pulling warped boards flat

5. STGO

STGO New Member

screws not nails, if the boards do twist and warp the nails will be pulled out, trust me i`ve seen it, even with grip nails. Oh, and dont use grab adhesive, that would be silly.

6. foxy

foxy New Member

Screws every time for me although if you have a Paslode it must be hard to resist. Don't use clips, they are useless and expensive. After a short while the screws fade from view to some extent.

No nails!! :(

I know its a joke but if anyone reading thinks about it...........don't! :)

7. !!

!! Active Member

well thats shocked me, I learnt of a yank so always nail them down with 70 or 90 ring nails.

Just ordered myself a load of bostitchs new hurriquake nails and they look the business

8. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

9. sparkydog

sparkydog Member

I always use "TURBO ULTRAS" stainless steel , dont rust ,dont need pilot drilling,leave em flush they look the dogs dangly bits ......chalk line to get em inline:)

10. !!

!! Active Member

so what is the arguement against nails then since everyone seems to screw them down

11. ultimatehandyman

I have just done a deck that took almost 40 square
    metres of decking, we used decking clips.

Some of the boards were warped and these were pulled
    flat, we used the clips that screwfix sell and nailed
    them into position with galvanised nails.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=55674&t
    s=53859

Ultimate
    Handyman

I posted this before the decking job was finished

The decking clips are not that brilliant to be honest and in the future I would use decking screws. Some of the boards were really badly warped and it was difficult with the clips and when you knock one end in the other end pops out!

Quite a few of the boards creak as well when you walk on them. If I ever do any more decking I will definately be using screws to hold the boards down.

Ultimate Handyman

12. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Ultimate, it is worth taking the time to source good decking materials. I have done a few complidated decks in my time but did a basic flat deck for my brother and it was a nightmare. Almost every board was warped, twisted and bowed. In some case the screw would pull through the board without getting anywhere near to taking the twist out.

Family, you have to love them

13. ultimatehandyman

Ultimate, it is worth taking the time to source good
    decking materials. I have done a few complidated
    decks in my time but did a basic flat deck for my
    brother and it was a nightmare. Almost every board
    was warped, twisted and bowed. In some case the screw
    would pull through the board without getting anywhere
    near to taking the twist out.

Family, you have to love them

Thanks for that Mr Kipling,

Decking is not something I will be doing again in the foreseeable future, but next time I will take your advice!

Thanks

UHM

14. lojo

lojo New Member

I have used clips, they do look great but I think they no easier than screws as you have to be carefull to to pull boards flat and etc.

Nails, I have only done this once and on a rustic deck where it was specified by someone else, ring shank only

Screws, I still counter sink whatever the screw says it can do, looks neater than pulling the grain in around the head. Best option and only one where boards can be taken up with damaging anything. Be sure to keep a nice line on the screws as it looks unsightly if the screw lines are wavy accross the deck

No nails, gripfill ??????????????? what