Decor End Panel Query

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by kiteboy, Nov 15, 2018.

1. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Hi all

Just fitting my kitchen today - its pretty much in place just gotta screw in now

I have one query regarding these decorative end panels that go on the end of a kitchen appliance tower thing which contains a double oven and microwave

I take it these panels should sit on a tile - we are not on a position to tile as we havent had time to look yet and we need room badly so kitchen needs to go in so we can move here

The end panels are shown below in howdens - so is it just a case leaving a gap under them for the tile to go under??

Thanks all

[​IMG]

2. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

You can put it to the floor and cut tile around it, or leave a gap if you know the thickness. Or cut a bit out when its being tiled when you know exactly how much gap. Upto you really

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

I would always just cut the panel to the existing floor level and leave the rest to whoever is doing the flooring. As you OP are DIY, i would still do the same. When you tile around the end panels, the only moisture they may "suck up" is from tile cement and grout, which won't be much. If you cut the panels above or at the finished floor level....................every time your Mrs or you mops the floor those end panels will soak it up like an alchoholic on a free beer day.......................and we all know that they "blow" at some point :D

4. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Brill thanks all - great to know - can get on and fit now!

5. ajohn

ajohn Member

It's possible to buy waterproof pva now. I've used on edges that shouldn't get damp or wet but may do when and if any sealant fails.

Rather a lot of it in a 5L container but waterproof exterior grade wood glue is much the same thing. Like PVA probably a good idea to dilute so it can soak in.

John
    -

6. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Member

As kitfit says, I always have the cut edge at the top by the worktop, so the sealed edge is at the bottom and less prone to moisture ingress..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018