Decrease hole size in plasterboard ceiling.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Batie, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Batie

Batie New Member

I’ve just purchased a couple of new lights for the kitchen, the light fitting is only 30mm wide yet the hole where the electrics come down is approx 80mm in diameter.
    When the lights are fitted the hole is visible either side of the new light fitting.

Is there a way to part fill the hole or is it a case of fully filling with a piece of plasterboard and making a new smaller hole to feed the cables through ?

Any advice will be very much appreciated

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

C fix hole repair. I've heard some make their own from food cans. Not cheap but good fix

3. Batie

Batie New Member

thanks but I don’t have downlights, basically it’s just a hole in the ceiling that is too big and the new light fitting doesn’t cover the hole.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ah. I just pva around hole.(you can use wood glue if you have some)and Powder fill. Mix up really thick like clay and shape in if hole if not too big. If 20mm or bigger you may need to stick something to fill to like a bit of wood , then fill to that.

5. Batie

Batie New Member

That’s along the lines as what I was thinking.
    Another option I’ve just though of is... tidy up the existing hole and make it round, stick a slither of wood above the hole and fixed each end, cut out a round piece of plasterboard chamfer the edges, drill a hole for cabling in the middle the fit and fill.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

When sliding wood in drill a few holes in wood. Using 2 screws you can move it along buy removing and grabbing wood with the two screws. Walking it along. You have to go all the way to get in then walk it back. I find it's a good idea to drill through to wood through ceiling board and put screw in to hold. Saves waiting for wood to stick with no nails. Also stops wood splitting with pilot hole through.

Other way is stiff cardboard and string. Use filler to fix cardboard and level it (fill) while holding the sting attached to cardboard. When dry cut sting tight to surface and tidy up with more filler. That's an old trick

7. Batie

Batie New Member

Perfect ! I’ve now got a few options. Thanks for the advice.

Wayners likes this.