Deep Skirtings

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by PETEG, Oct 16, 2003.

1. PETEG

PETEG New Member

Can anyone advise me of the best way to replace large (12") skirtings? I would like to replace them with similar sized skirtings but am having difficulty finding them or timber to make them.

2. right build

right build New Member

if you take the skirting into a decent wood yard they should beable to match it for you, or you could try a reclaim yard

3. chippy

chippy New Member

Many deep skirtings are in fact made up of smaller pieces eg a separate mould pinned to a plain lower board. Otherwise try a reclamation yard. You are unlikely to find modern softwood to match the quality of the old.

4. Sparkyman

Sparkyman New Member

One solution is to buy an 8'x4' sheet of mahogany plywood and use a circular saw to cut it into 12" high lengths (if that is the desired hieght) fit 1"x1.5" batons (sloped at the top) along the wall and fit the plywood lengths to these then use some moulding or picture rail along the top.

I did this in our previous flat and it toned in fine with the other fixtures.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

check out skirting4u.co.uk. Loads of profiles in MDF up to 350mm. If you are placing a large order, give them a bell as you may get a bit of discount :) . Unless you want to stain them, MDF is perfect - absolutely straight, no knots and shakes, and can be ordered pre-finished.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Check the date.

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks Jord. Bleedin trolls resurrecting old threads.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The mods have been very slack with the troll tonight, I think the meds kicked in first.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Need to lock old threads.

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I believe I was the most recent person to suggest this formally to Screwfix Peter who shot me down in flames. His reply to me was liked by several members whilst my request was not so I have deduced that there is no appetite to pursue this. The original thread can be found here if you wish to review the enthusiasm shown - https://community.screwfix.com/threads/ancient-threads.199082/

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Think SFP is WRONG not to lock threads,:eek:even if thread is locked, it's still there, you can still link to it, BUT it's BLUDY annoying when peeps tack their post onto a 10 year old plus thread.[​IMG]

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Need to delete a lot of the racist, comments against certain religious groups, homophobic etc. remarks from the archives a lot are still in there and available via google