Deepen hole in wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pal123, Feb 9, 2020.

1. pal123

pal123 Member

Hi,

I am looking for advice on whether I can, without needing to change the existing wooden structural beam, deepen a 1970's window opening into the inner brick layer on a 1910's style 'exterior' (now interior) brick wall. There was an extension built on the other side of this 9 inch brick wall in the 1970's so the 'exterior' brick wall is now an interior brick wall. The recess is useful for putting a shelf in, and if I can remove the bricks vertically to floor level it would mean a bigger shelf. The Dropbox link showing an annotated drawing is below:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0vjhrq26...pen-original-1970s window frame hole.JPG?dl=0

Please can one let me know if I can just remove the bricks as shown or if I need to swap the wooden support beam with a deeper and/or longer support beam? Thanks

2. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

Hi Pal123.
    Remove away, no issues. Only really an issue if you want to make it wider.

3. pal123

pal123 Member

I removed 3 bricks down but accidentally widened the hole by about 3cm each side. I quickly filled in using cement and bits of brick. The point at which the widening occurs is at 11 brick courses below the wooden beam and I used a spirit level on the wooden beam once the cement has dried (1:2 mix) and the wooden beam has not tilted or moved. I also filled pre-existing cement gaps in the cement courses under the wooden beam.
    Here's a photo showing the new hole https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnjxc1hb2b7ey15/20200220_195509.jpg?dl=0

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

1:2 nooo, it’s too strong and going to crack. To save yourself posting about lintel failure at a later date,redo it using either 1:4 or 1:5

5. pal123

pal123 Member

The ratio was closer to 1:3, I added PVA SBR to the mix which sped up drying time, does the PVA not make the mix more flexible?. Why would the cement fill (bear in mind it's up to 5cm on the right hand side and only 2 cm on the left hand side) be more flexible?

6. pal123

pal123 Member

Also the bricks in that wall are all engineering bricks which are tough

7. pal123

pal123 Member

Ok well it's easier to brick back up to where the 5cm/2cm wider section starter compared to using a 4.5" angle grinder to remove the cement. Obviously I'll use 1:4 for those brick courses