Delay in skimming new plasterboard

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Feb 9, 2021.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Just finished plasterboarding the ceiling last week after I levelled it out.

However there will be a delay until the plasterer comes as I have to finish off other bits of work, probably a good few weeks to a month.

I have read online there should be minimum delay in getting new plasterboard skimmed.

I assume this is becuase of dust? Should I cover the new ceiling with plastic dust sheets?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Be fine to leave a few weeks. It can get mould if damp environment or a bit dry in summer when left so needs a pva prior to skim. If it's a heated environment like a house just leave it

DIY_Has123 and Jord86 like this.
  3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Surely the board will have been sitting in a warehouse for several months or more. I'm not sure how being installed makes any difference to its skimming properties?

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  4. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I'm wondering about that too!

I've never heard that there was a maximum time before skimming before!

5. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Most likely they would have been stored white paper side down and not exposed. I'm only asking because I'm sure I read something about this on British Gypsum site or article or guide somewhere can't remember.

But it makes sense I suppose if dust gets attached to the white paper could possibly affects adhesion of plaster. Maybe a skilled plasterer would know best.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Wayners is a skilled plasterer/decorator. No, don't cover them with plastic as it's a waste of time and money. They should be fine to wait for your plasterer, it's only a few weeks not years, if they aren't for whatever reason then a coat of PVA will sort them out ready for a skim.

DIY_Has123 likes this.
  7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I've had plasterboard walls skimmed years after first install, and they're perfectly sound.
    Let your plasterer know how long they've been up, and he'll do whatever is necessary to ensure that the plaster adheres to the board, because ultimately he's the one you'll call back if it fails in the future.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

+1

some of ours on this latest house had been up a good year before plasterer came in. I think he used a bit of PVA* to control the suction on the big ceiling, but no issues.

*I'm not totally sure about this

9. CosD

CosD Active Member

Some work sites can plasterboard before windows or doors go in, the advice from Gypsum is to cover themselves for every eventuality.
    I had the last room I was working on plastered months after the plasterboard was put up without issues.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Usually only an issue if they’ve been left in a problematic environment for a lengthy time. Skimming over PB is generally the most straightforward job in plastering, but occasionally and based on experience, a plasterer may decide to pva old boards that they feel may cause an issue. Bottom line...it won’t do any harm.

Jord86 likes this.
  11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Never known normal dust to settle on the underside of a surface.
    Ceiling dust?
    Nar.

12. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Australian ceiling dust maybe?..:D