Delayed paint reaction?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Robot Enthusiast, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Robot Enthusiast

Robot Enthusiast Active Member

Hi All,

I painted my bedroom in December and in the last month I have noticed a paint reaction in one particular area. At first I thought it was damp. See attached pics.
    The wall is an external perimeter wall that joins an adjacent ex-chimney breast.

Any ideas what this paint reaction is?
    There appears to be some almost salt-like substance on the surface of some (but not all) of the affected areas.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Moisture ingress. The salt needs moisture to grow.

3. Robot Enthusiast

Thanks @Astramax
    Is this case of removing the moisture cause, let dry out, and redecorate?

Ta.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

1st action would be to locate the source where the moisture is getting in and causing the problem to manifest. So checking exterior areas for possible problems such as over flowing/ leaking gutters, chimney stack, condition of wall etc.

Robot Enthusiast likes this.
  5. Robot Enthusiast

So the source must be the bath since the corner of the bath room lines up with the moisture area of the chimney breast. I have some sealant to try and fix that.

Many thanks

Astramax likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If that's the source it hopefully will be straightforward. :)

7. Robot Enthusiast

I've just opened up the underside of the bath.... I think it's new bathroom time. Where the tiles meet the bath the seal and grout has failed. Came off in my hands. The water is collecting there so that is the source :)

I did earlier order some silicone but I think it's well past that now :D

I may still be able to get a temp seal so we can use the bath/shower but ultimately its 1970s and needs to come out. The Joy's of buying a "doer-upper" :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help!

Astramax likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well done for quickly identifying the.source, a good air flow will hasten the drying out time required which could be a few weeks. A dehumidifier will also help speed things up.

9. Robot Enthusiast

Noted. Radiator on and windows open. Thanks again!

Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

White vinegar will neutralise the salts in the wall but wait until wall has dried out completely. :);).