Delivery Charges

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by molerat, Jun 21, 2006.

1. molerat

molerat Member

What is this all about. I was just about to order, screen said free delivery. Clicked to next page and a box came up "add £6.00 remote area / offshore". I am in an IV postcode. I ordered last week and did not pay any extra. When did this change.

2. DBDave

DBDave New Member

Where is an IV postcode?

3. molerat

molerat Member

Inverness

4. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Screwfix don't reply to any questions on this forum. Just phone them up, they are usually very helpful.

BB

5. Max 1

Max 1 New Member

Ive just added a price forum before I noticed this one.
    I agree with you 100 % :( screwfix do like to rip everyone off by charging £6.00 almost delivery fees.

They say "everything for the trade - next day !"
    and occasionly they say that their prices are "trade prices". You pick an item and there are not hardly any trade prices. Theres just bulk quantitis which means you save about £2.00 altogether when bought about 5 products at £5.00 each :) thats £25.00 - £2.00 = £23.00
    Not a wopping saving but alright.

I strongly like screwfix as their products are excellent.
    The reason ive never ordered anything much is the £6.00 [approxx] delivery or as them lot down at screwfix "packing and handling fees".

:( :):):):)

6. nerostjames

nerostjames New Member

why not build your order uo so that you get free carriage, there's always something you wished you'd ordered once the order has been submitted

7. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

I do what nero does and put a big order in so have never paid delivery charges, let's put it this way, you don't have to order much to reach the 45 snot mark. :(

8. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

Or order gift vouchers to get the value of the order up then use them on your next order.

9. molerat

molerat Member

But my gripe is not with the packing and handling charge, my order was over £45. I am being charged £6 because of my address. This is a new charge that was not levied on my order last time.

10. molerat

molerat Member

11. PDPS

PDPS New Member

I think you need to contact ScrewFix and ask if they consider IV postcodes to be a remote area. If they don't, ask for a refund of the charge they made.

12. spaceboy

spaceboy New Member

Hi Molerat you must have been charged wrong,I am up here in Orkney and if my order is over £45 there is no charge.

13. molerat

molerat Member

I spoke to them this morning and IV is remote. Spaceboy, wait until your next order !! my order on 12th June did not have the charge, it has just been introduced.

14. Grumpy Granpa

Grumpy Granpa New Member

As a customer of Screwfix for a very large number of years I am a bit "miffed", to put it mildly, that a £6 delivery charge is to be added to any future orders because I happen to live on the outskirts of Aberdeen.
    I note that I am not alone with this complaint so would the "Gnomes" of Screwfix (Perhaps not such an inappropriate name in this case!) take note of our displeasure and reconsider your action in imposing this charge.
    I order a lot of items via the Internet without any delivery penalty so Screwfix you can now boast that you have scored a first!!!! THINK AGAIN!!!!!

15. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I had a delivery last week which included the wrong invoice which was actually for a customer in Orkney. I remember being suprised that there was no delivery charge for about £50 worth of goods.

16. DeeB

DeeB New Member

The redefining of parts of the UK as remote and worthy of the £6 premium on deliveries does seem quite widespread. I know one of the principle carriers (Lynx) used does consider me remote. The other carriers (such as ANC, Amtrak, Parcelforce, Citylink)do not and even manage to deliver within a reasonable time.
    The department of Transport maintains a route called the A1 which is just 12 miles away and apparently is a main link between London and Edinburgh.
    A company called Asda (you may have heard of their shops) convoy there goods between London and Scotland in large lorries along a road just a mile away.
    I wonder if Screwfix are a bit out of synch.
    Certainly encourages customers to look around at other sources.

17. Combo

Combo Member

The department of Transport maintains a route called
    the A1 which is just 12 miles away.

Where are you DeeB, I wouldn't have thought that anywhere only 12 miles from the A1 was "remote".

18. spaceboy

spaceboy New Member

Just went to place an order and the £6 was added on to the price, just because we are in a so called remote area,If you live north of Aberdeen we are always hammered with extra postage prices, WHY ???????

19. molerat

molerat Member

Put in an order Tuesday afternoon and it quoted the £6. received it this afternoon and it did not charge it on the invoice. Checked my credit card on line and the £6 has definately not been added. !?!?!?

20. ggys68

ggys68 New Member

I too was quite amazed to find that the oil capital of europe is now remote. Thankfully noticed the extra charge before order was submitted. Funny how other companies can still offer free delivery within 36hours of order being place online!!