Depression still most common in construction

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Oct 10, 2018.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

If you want to discuss mental health, you have to expect it to be viewed in the light of your own conduct.

You love nothing more than joining in while someone is being rounded on by a certain group of people on here.

Sly little likes, snidey little comments.

And when you are called out on it you are trying to portray yourself as totally innocent.

You cannot be talking about mental health like some caring thoughtful person whilst simultaneously joining in whilst someone else is getting picked on by people who view mental health as ammunition for attack.

2. goldenboy

I think there is always that element of being self employed suits those who were round pegs in square holes!

Often I find also that many self employed are a little bit (or a lot) OCD too.

Get the balance right when it comes to work and it can be a real stabiliser for people.

3. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

Is that the vid with the survivors of the Golden Gate Bridge suicide attempts who all relate the same thing - that moment of utter regret at their decision as soon as they start to drop.

Isn't that utterly heartbreaking? You think you have made the right decision for you - you want it to end, you want that release from the hell you are going through - and then, when it's too late, your only feeling is 'regret' at what you've done. Not relief. Not gratitude. Just 'regret'.

Lord.

4. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

I wonder what the correlation is between failing mental health and the men who have been stripped of their home, income, pension and regular contact with their children after a relationship break-up.

I think this is a massive contributing factor.

Heat likes this.
  5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

That’s the one DA. I’m not afraid to say I cried after watching it. Heart wrenching.

longboat and Allsorts like this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

That certainly won't help, is this something you need help with?
    I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction.

7. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

A very common problem and mostly against men.
    The law tends to favour the mother and we all know if a woman wants to be spiteful or lie, she will usually without consequence to her

8. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

This is supposed to be about supporting people with mental health problems and you bring up that.

9. Allsorts

Anyhoo, Longsie will likely be dismayed to hear that Point & Sandwick Trust are giving some of their profits to mental health charities and organisations in the Western Isles, given he appears to prefer EDF gets all this money.

10. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

Bring what up?

11. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Well Furious actually brought it up and I was just agreeing it is one cause of depression amoungst men.
    I know of some men who are suffering depression because of separation from children and am sure you do.
    Just one of many things we need to be aware of.

12. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

13. furious_customer

Not in this boat personally, but have a couple friends who have been there and what was done to them was criminal by the standard of any moral person.

14. furious_customer

And in the case of one person it was only due to the unwavering support of friends that he didn't take his own life after the house that he had lived in all his life and inherited from his mother when she passed was given to his ex by the court.

15. Allsorts

I suspect that story isn't quite as simple as that.

But, fair do's, divorces are often messy and horrible, and I understand the outcomes often not as balanced or fair as they could be.

16. furious_customer

Unfortunately it pretty much was as simple as that, When they married, she became entitled to 50% of his house, savings and pension.
    The value of the house was equal to the value of the savings and pension, so he got those and she got the house.

He had acquired all of these before meeting her.

17. Allsorts

It will always feel unfair if it's clear that one party was the 'wrong 'un', but marriage is a 2-way street with 2-folk and 1-path and bludyhellI'm ******.

It does seem from what you say that each got a 'half' of their combined possessions; her the house and him the cash?

That's the price you pay for getting a marriage wrong, I'm afraid.

18. furious_customer

He was lucky that he had a lot of friends to support him and is now much happier than ever before to be fair.

Allsorts likes this.
  19. Allsorts

Good friends is what life is all about.

20. goldenboy

I have to agree on this.

If you get married it is a risk you take.

At the end of the day you choose the person you get married to.

If your choice turns out to be the wrong one then you just have to accept it and move on.

I despair when I see people I know jacking marriages in after a couple of years.