Detachable banister on landing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by baracus, Jan 31, 2019.

1. baracus

baracus Member

Hello

Has anyone seen a neat way of making a handrail and 8 spindles detachable? The staircase is open string so all of the spindles don't sit on a base rail, they sit in notches on the landing.

The idea is to remove it to allow furniture to go up the stairs.

thanks

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some of the Richard Burbidge fixings had handrail brackets which can be undone with an Allen Key. Keeping the spindles attached to the handrail when you remove it could be a challenge but if they were glued and with proper spacer blocks it should be fine.

goldenboy likes this.
  3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The Burbidge ranges are good for this as are the Axxys ones.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

obviously have to leave the bottoms unglued in the sockets

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Never used Axxys how do they compare to the Burbidge range which is expensive but never had a problem with ?

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I quite often mix the 2. Last job I used fusion spindles and axxys rails and fittings.

The fusion spindles are a lot better but the axxys fittings and rails are cheaper and just as good

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Interesting, one of the cottages. I am working on has a similar problem to Baracus, it is a double winder with a really low handrail and landing banister. It is original to the house but comes up between my knee and hip. It would be a shame to take them out, but one of those things if someone had an accident that could have been prevented then I'd feel guilty.

The wife wants me to fix the slope on the stairs not the rise but because of their age, the treads slope about 75mm across the width of the stairs. I think it adds character but the wife hates it. I was thinking of remaking the whole stairs with a joint in the newel post so it can be removed to take furniture up. The Burbidge retrofit newels come with a round tenon and wedge that fits into a hole in an existing newel. Fitted a few, but never had to remove one after it has been wedged in. If it isn't wedged then it is going to wobble. Only thin I can think of is some giant double ended dowel screw

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What about using a draw dowel across the spigot section. Should hold it tight and then be knockable out to remove?

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was thinking about that or cutting a slot in the spigot and post for wedges

10. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

could you not make a gate that opens by removing fixings

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It may look a bit awkward and you would have to make the catches very child proof

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

At second fix stage on a lot of new build sites now the handrail, base rail, fillets and spindles for the rake and return landing of the staircase come in from the joinery as a single unit, with holes drilled out either end of the handrail and a threaded insert fitted which then a large machine screw is sent through a pre drilled hole in the back of the Newels into the handrails, nipped up tight, no glue. Countersink and screw through the fillets to secure the base rail, though it slots over the string so can't move anyways. Whilst the feeling remains to murder the painters who remove it to paint the spindles and never reinstate it, could it be an idea for you? And go with Goldenboys shout of dry draw dowels to secure the Newels, or maybe try expanding foam with the spigot, could possibly twist and rotate the Newels around to remove it later? Obviously though a full balustrade framed section wouldn't work with a cut string, sorry Baracus.