Detached Garage (attached to neighbour) Conversion help and questions

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Beff, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Beff

Beff New Member

just
    YES - THIS JUST THIS
    That is most definitely a plan, when we bought the house last year i was determined we needed a conservatory space, but actually, living in it for a year, they're ******* useless. We're also slightly over looked by it on the right side as the street curves around our house there, and the houses then face ours, so by building a solid wall on that one short side, we will become completely not overlooked and also make it completely habitable. It was so sad when we 'closed the doors' for the winter, weve loved having it open in the summer but it's baltic. By using your ideas, we gain a dining room, much more functional kitchen, and fully habitable living space all in one, and still have a spare room for a completely enclosed utility / storage / play room.

p.s my husband is really very upset with you for sending me down this path, he was hoping for a quiet life this next year. He is WRONG.

KIAB likes this.
  2. If your hubby thought a 'quiet path' was knocking down the wall to the passageway and garage and incorporating all that in to a 'kitchen', what with no natural light from the garden (wot with his new mancave there...) and sh**, then he needs a good slap.

Metaphorically speaking.

You need top sit down with a glassd of wine andf alook through Pinterest (I hate it- bvut 9t's good) and have some new dreams :)

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You need to stop drinking......NOW!

4. Beff

Beff New Member

Yeah, im vaguely holding off sitting looking through pinterest as it annoys me so much, but you're probably right, it is a great starting point.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And it wouldn't need be excessively wide to encroach into the garden,length could run full length from conservatory to kitchen wall, would think you could open up wall of kitchen by exsisting patio area.

6. Beff

Beff New Member

Here are the photos of my house I said I would get, can't get far enough away to get it all in one shot but ive done a few so it should give you what you need.

Attached Files:

7. Beff

Beff New Member

the extension bit wouldn't need to be any deeper into the garden than the conservatory depth currently is as it's fairly generous. Ive just posted the pics i said I would, to see a better idea of the space.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thanks for photo's, will have closer look at them when I'm home.:)

9. Beff

Beff New Member

sounds great, thanks

10. Nice bit of style already going on in your house :).

That is really a blank canvas now - as you say the connie is already coming out a nice amount, so a full-width extension to that depth should give you everything you want and not eat in to the garden at all.

There is already a lintel in main house wall in the kitchen section to allow it to continue out in to it's current point, and to add a further one to allow the sitting room to be opened up is a breeze.

That would allow pretty any sort of design you wanted, such as like the first photo in KIAB's post #18 (tho' with a more conventional roof but with large glass panels too). As in that photo, if you didn't want the LH side (as you look at it) also glass, then a nice brick wall would look good - your house has some nice features like that, so worth keeping that style going.

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

LH side solid wall (as you look at it), & RH side (as you look at it) I would remove pitch roof,whole kitchen wall left side including patio doors, but keep & extend wall (by path) out to same depth as conservatory is now,then you could lean to the whole length of the back of house, only issue is that window,a stairwell window I think it is, but that can be over come & still keep natural light in that area.

12. Beff

Beff New Member

This is precisely what my intention would be as you describe. Yes it is a stairwell window, so no real issue there. So since we seem to be on a lovely similar wavelength, do you know this world enough to be able to shoot me some very ballparky figures so I know what arena I'm shooting for. I have some savings but am aware it is certainly not going to be enough, but i could do with a working idea.

13. Beff

Beff New Member

excellent, this is lovely to hear since my first garage plans were just useless haha. could you vaguely estimate any costings for me? to get to a point with it plastered out ready for furnishings? Any idea of a ballpark would be incredible.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  15. Cost? I haven't a scooby.

But almost certainly significantly less than your original idea... :)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.[​IMG]

Can always Ebay your present conservatory

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. Beff

Beff New Member

haha, fair point, glad its going that way and not the other as is so often the case. I shall keep you updated as we move on

18. Beff

Beff New Member

is that a thing?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sell conservatory, buyer removes, would save you money not having two maybe three builders dismantling it all day.

20. Beff

Beff New Member

well, how very bizarre, will definitely look into it.