devil of screw

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by arsenalboy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

The simple things in life turn out to be the hardest. I had a new kitchen put in last year in my Victorian house. The old kitchen gutted and completely rebuilt. A new elictrical ircuit was put in with stainless steel light switches. I need to get at the wiring behind one of the switches and whilst one of the screws will come out the other will not!!
    As the walls were rebuilt they put in the plastic back boxes that have the two red housings to take the screws. From memory these red housings can go backwards and forwards.
    The offeding screw just turns and turns it has come halfway out but although still turning will come no further, it doesn't go back properly either.
    I am using pliers to grip the head as I turn it but no good.
    I have enough room to get hacksaw blade on and cut through and whilst this will allow the front plate to come off I would then never get the rest of the screw out?
    Any suggestions greatly received!!

2. NikT

NikT New Member

The box sounds like a dry lining box.
    Cut the pin and either replace the box or the red lug/clamp.
    Usually easy to remove and exchange.:)

3. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

arsenalboy

devil of screw
    Posted: Jan 31, 2007 10:29 AM Reply

The simple things in life turn out to be the hardest. I had a new kitchen put in last year in my Victorian house. The old kitchen gutted and completely rebuilt. A new elictrical ircuit was put in with stainless steel light switches. I need to get at the wiring behind one of the switches and whilst one of the screws will come out the other will not!!
    As the walls were rebuilt they put in the plastic back boxes that have the two red housings to take the screws. From memory these red housings can go backwards and forwards.
    The offeding screw just turns and turns it has come halfway out but although still turning will come no further, it doesn't go back properly either.
    I am using pliers to grip the head as I turn it but no good.
    I have enough room to get hacksaw blade on and cut through and whilst this will allow the front plate to come off I would then never get the rest of the screw out?
    Any suggestions greatly received!!

Try pulling the switch taut towards you & unscrew. If you hacksaw, you should be able to get the rest out with pliers. Why do you need to get to the wires?

4. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

the plate has 3 switches, two internal and one for an external security light. The external light has a PIR and is working by movement but will not work by the internal switch which confuses me because it was when the switch was put in last year, I assume the wiring has come loose due to bit of banging on other side of wall. It shouldn't have come loose so can only assume that the wire was only barely in in the first place.

5. 2 wheeled ant

2 wheeled ant New Member

The box sounds like a dry lining box.
    Cut the pin and either replace the box or the red
    lug/clamp.
    Usually easy to remove and exchange.:)

Agree Switch POWER OFF, cut screw, remove other & take off plate (remember cable connections). Push to back of box the 2 red lugs, then pull into centre of box, box will then slide out.
    Replace box & set screws. Best have these ready bought, will take all of 15mins.
    Ant

6. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Yes I would ike to buy in advance but the problem is I don't know what it is until I get it out!!

7. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

8. STGO

STGO New Member

not yellow b-a-s.

RED

9. STGO

STGO New Member

bad link sorry

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I was just trying to do the decent thing by our hosts.

Could have blue if you want..

11. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Thanks guys, when I said I didn't know what I wanted I meant the depth. If I get the short one I might not fit everything in, but on the other hand if I get the deeper one it might not go in the opening without cutting into brick wall?
    You will make me happy if you tell me there is only one size!

12. 2 wheeled ant

2 wheeled ant New Member

13. X

X New Member

You will make me happy if you tell me there is only one size!

Ok.. there is only one size

Happy now

But I was fibbing there are a few common sizes.. but dont worry, have a look at what size it is... refit using one screw, then pop out and get the new one.

14. britishblue

britishblue New Member

If these are the boxes they used, there won't be a brick wall. They are dry lining boxes, only used in stud walls (plasterboard).

BB

15. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Your only way is cut the screw, then replace the dry lining box.

SOME dry lining boxes are appauling. They use a round knurled insert, press fitted into a round hole in the plastic. These work loose very easilly and lead the the problem you have.

I would only ever fit the better ones that have a hexagonal brass insert press fitted into a hexagonal hole in the plastic. Much much less likely to give problems.

Of course if buying by mail order you can't see what you are getting, but I know for a fact that the Appleby DL boxes have a hex insert and I have never had one fail yet.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

the plate has 3 switches, two internal and one for an
    external security light. The external light has a PIR
    and is working by movement but will not work by the
    internal switch which confuses me because it was when
    the switch was put in last year, I assume the wiring
    has come loose due to bit of banging on other side of
    wall. It shouldn't have come loose so can only assume
    that the wire was only barely in in the first place.

Strikes me as if the pir is working(for movement) then the switch is working.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Working relative to what, Handshandy?

I was right - you are always going to be an object of ridicule.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

but will not work by the
    internal switch which confuses me because it was
    s when
    the switch was put in last year,

Strikes me as if the pir is working(for movement)
    then the switch is working.So the owner of[/QUOTE]
    f this switch, a switch that you've never seen, but
    which he has used many times, he says it used to
    work, and now it doesn't, and you reckon that because
    the PIR is still OK the switch is working. So a
    switch not doing what it used to is "working".

Working relative to what, Handshandy?

I was right - you are always going to be an object of
    ridicule.

You keep trying bas. you will fail. You will make yourself look small(smaller than you have already made yourself look by trying to score points -you are losing).

Read what others say about your, fooman's and Ant's childishness.

A switch switches on and it switches off. The pir is working, therefore the switch can be assumed as working.

A switch is either off or on. If the pir is working, the switch is on.

If the pir needs switching on/off in a particular sequence to activate it without the movement facility, it SHOULD be assume that any fault will be in the appliance, or at the appliance end, as the switch is obviously switching on, or the pir would not work at all.

Is that a safe bet ? Anyone ? Bas need not answer.

A proper answer is requested. Not from a FOOL.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

19. RMH

RMH New Member

"A switch switches on and it switches off. The pir is working, therefore the switch can be assumed as working.

A switch is either off or on. If the pir is working, the switch is on."

If the PIR triggers the light but the switch does not could it not be that the light assembly is powered from elsewhere and the switch just sends a live to the light bypassing the PIR switch live? if so then indeed the switch could be faulty.
    Any way it makes no odds as he has to remove the switch cause it wont screw back again!
    Only time will tell

20. fooman

fooman New Member

here we go again :^O