devil of screw

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by arsenalboy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

For further clarity

1. It is a quality PIR security light. You do not
    need to override it by confusing circuit, as somebody
    stated, by switching on and off and on again.

That 'statement' was related to 'cheap' PIR's in general, and not to your top quality, PIR specifically.

2. Nice theory that somebody has put a nail through
    squeaky floorboard and taken out a wire, but this is
    all new wiring arriving in a new dry lined wall,
    integrity of wiring is ok.

And that 'theory' was never intended to be relevant to your topic: It's merely a recurring piece of sarcasm aimed at a certain individual.....

3. Despite certain individuals trying to tell me
    otherwise (no names to protect the guilty!!), it has
    > to be the switch.

It doesn't have to be the switch, it could just as well be a poor connection (from the switch) at the PIR terminals.

Without the benefit of further clarity, the suggestion by that certain individual, was wholly reasonable.

Have you sorted out that blessed plastic lug yet?

Marj.

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

3. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

It is not the connections at the PIR as I have checked those. It has to be the connections in the switch.
    Power goes to the security light as it works via PIR and power goes to the switch because if you ccan remember the very beginning of this thread the light switch is a triple and the other two switches provide power ok to the internal lights. But I cannot check the connections because the screw wont come out for those who can remember, hacksaw job for the weekend. All together now "theres a hole in my bucket......."!!

4. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

It is not the connections at the PIR as I have
    checked those. It has to be the connections in the
    switch.

Yet another attemt at clarification. What a shame you didn't mention that fact earlier, when it was appropriate to do so.

hacksaw job for the weekend.

One quick snip with the pliers will do it. Why mess around with a hacksaw and risk scratching an expensive Switch?

All together now "theres a hole in my
    bucket......."!!

How very apt, dear Henry, since you seem to be unfolding the tale in installments. I wouldn't be at all surprised to read that there's also a fused spur, for isolation, in addition to this override switch.....

Marj.

5. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

after all of this nonsense i would put a bet that its actually the fitting itself thats faulty

Ive found a lot of pir fittings do not like being permanently fed AND switched. They work for a while but then seem to pack in. have had a customer with 8 pir's around his house that have been gradually packing up one by one over a period of 18months.

would say the percentages of it being the switch are much lower than other solutions

6. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Mrs Bow Jingles
    I am not telling the tale by instalments, I am responding to questions.
    My original request for help was nothing to do with PIR's etc etc.
    All I asked was advice on a spinning screw which meant I couldn't get the front plate off!!

7. NikT

NikT New Member

And did u sort it??:|

8. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

HANDYPANDY started it off about a faulty PIR.
    He can turn a topic into 250 post.

Hi HandyPandy i'm back from my vacation. Did you miss me?

MRWONG---REALLY

9. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

> Mrs Bow Jingles
    I am not telling the tale by instalments, I am
    responding to questions.

Well, read it again smartarsenal, because it looks like instalments to me.

All I asked was advice on a spinning screw which
    meant I couldn't get the front plate off!!

Indeed you did, initially. Perhaps you should have left it at that, instead of jumping on the bandwagon to have a sarcastic dig at Andy, when he made a perfectly reasonable observation.

Your previous posts to 'other trades' have a common theme: You have a tendency to complain and a need to blame. You have seldom had the courtesy to return to a thread to thank - or even acknowledge the contributors.

So why the hell do you keep returning to this thread? - For the sake of a plastic lug? - I don't think so....

Your previous posts on this forum are really something else: particularly your DIY efforts with PIR lights, FCU isolation, override switches and replacing light switches.

Marj.

10. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Dear Mrs Beaujolais
    You are seeing red; obviously you enjoy a good whine?

I cannot believe that you are trying to discredit me and have to set the record straight

“so why the hell do you keep returning to this thread”
    I have returned 4 times before this, twice to answer questions from Moonshine, a third time to clarify confusion between people and the fourth time was because somebody called Mrs Bojangles said
    “ Without the benefit of further clarity”.!!

I could not have given the facts in advance because this post has changed direction. But you suggest when further clarification is required I should keep quiet? That would indeed be discourteous.

“jumping on the bandwagon to have a sarcastic dig at Andy, when he made a perfectly reasonable observation.”
    I didn’t mention anybody and only referred to comments made by a contributor. I have never slagged people off which seems to be a common theme here. There have been 3 respected members (I will not drag them into this) who have agreed with me here.
    The simple fact is that my light switch doesn’t turn on my PIR light although the light works by movement. The PIR and Switch are independent of each other, therefore the fact that the light works does not mean that the switch must be working , because it isn’t!!

“your previous posts on this forum are really something else”
    I have looked at them, what is wrong with them? I am not too proud to ask for advice; I haven’t made a fool of myself. Or perhaps you have to know the answers or pretend you do?

Maybe I have misunderstood this forum, I thought it was half serious in that advice would be given and half humorous. But I am not allowed to take part in that? Maybe I do not have enough posts to my name? That is because I am not too proud to ask for advice but will not wade in with dubious observations on other posts.

“you have a tendency to complain and a need to blame”
    I blamed a national shower tray manufacturer for not honouring a lifetime guarantee on a stone tray that failed after 15 years. Apparently 15 years is more than a lifetime. Highly misleading.

And I complained about a very reputable flooring contractor who was subbed during my kitchen installation to lay a Kardean floor at £100 sq mtr, they cocked it up to such an extent that although it is liveable with they agreed not to ask for payment.
    I also complained about the same flooring contractor, same job, who poured 2 buckets of latex screed down my drain (very young apprentice) which wasn’t apparent until a couple of days later. The company wriggled and only under the threat of court action paid for a CCTV survey and the eventual digging up and replacement of the gulley and part of the drain.

I think I was justified in complaining!!

But do you know what Mrs Bojangles, do you know the thing that hurt me most? Your comment

“you seldom have the courtesy to return to the thread to thank or even acknowledge the contributors”

Oh yes I do and here is the evidence

In my posts to other trades I have thanked specifically somebody called CHRIS and have made the following comments

“advice would be appreciated”
    “thanks for all your suggestions guys”
    “thanks guys for all the serious and humorous suggestions”

Specifically in the electrical forum I have thanked the following by name
    ANDYSPARK
    BOB22
    PENGU

And have made the following comments

“thanks for all the help guys”
    “thanks for all the replies”

Not bad for 40 posts, check them out Mrs Bojangles, they are all there each and everyone of them.
    I don’t mind having the mickey taken but to say something like that which is untrue is below the belt and totally out of order.
    Finally, I will put myself to the test. Mrs Bojangles thinks I shouldn’t be here or shouldn’t be allowed to express myself.
    I will put my head above the parapet, you can vote me off. You have your say! If the majority of you don’t want me here I will never post again.
    Of course this means you will never know the answer to my switch!!

PS
    Mrs Bojangles says

“I wouldn't be at all surprised to read that there's also a fused spur, for isolation, in addition to this override switch.....”

Just to let you know that the fused spur goes to the garden shed to feed the freezer but there is no RCD protection. Is this worthy of discussion……………?

TIME TO VOTE

11. NikT

NikT New Member

Did you sort the switch & back box?

12. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Did you sort the switch & back box?

Thanks for asking NikT.
    Bought the back box yesterday but need to wait for weekend as obviously need to shut down the electrics.

13. Sherlock Ohms

Sherlock Ohms New Member

My oh my.

I had a bad feeling about this thread from the beginning. I have only just opened it for the first time. :(

I must learn to trust my instincts.

14. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

and whats your take Sherlock??

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well said, arsenalboy. :)

I'll just clear up my part if you don't mind. You may have seen the way it panned out. i don't need others telling me to shut up, for making silly suggestions, but you will have noticed that I posted WHY I suggested what I did. ie that maybe the switch worked by switching on the pir, then a combination of switching(of the same switch)might trigger the permanently on setting.

Perfectly reasonable assumption I thought, given the provided info.

You have now provided extra info, that if it were provided beforehand, would not have prompted my suggestion.

This is the bain of these forums(or any forums), in that advice can only be given fully, with full details at hand. Any thing other than that has to be pure speculation.

Do tell us the outcome, when you eventuallly sort it out. It makes it all wortwhile for the contributors(whatever part they play)and as a closer, I still think the problem is at the light:(:(:(

Keep it up.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Suggestions... assumptions... speculations...

The problem is you did not present your comment in that way - you wrote:

"Strikes me as if the pir is working(for movement) <u>THEN THE SWITCH IS WORKING</u>.

17. fooman

fooman New Member

The problem is you did not present your comment in
    that way - you wrote:

"Strikes me as if the pir is working(for movement)
    <u>THEN THE SWITCH IS WORKING</u>.
    "

bas bas bas

you should not waste your time with the idiot. I have given up arguing with him anymore i just get amusment reading the rubbish he comes out with and all his back peddling.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The problem is you did not present your comment in
    that way - you wrote:

"Strikes me as if the pir is working(for movement)
    <u>THEN THE SWITCH IS WORKING</u>.
    "

'Strikes me' bas. Wonder what that means ?

I would roughly translate it as 'The thought entered my head that.......'

Go on, add your parameters.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

19. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I'm sure you would, but then you aren't like other people, are you?

A more widespread "translation" of "Strikes me as if the pir is working (for movement)then the switch is working", would be

"As the PIR is working (for movement), then the switch is working"

but I expect you'll twist, and back-pedal, and try to wriggle away from what you said, just as you always do.

And I expect that your twisting, back-pedalling and wriggling will be as credible as it always is.

20. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

Now listen hear guys stop the bloody arguing, not worth the hassle!
    I will do the job on Sunday and let you know the outcome.
    Have another topic I want to raise tomorrow, cannot possibly cause any controversy.