Dewalt 625 or Dewalt 625 ?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Grahamdewalt, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Grahamdewalt

Grahamdewalt New Member

Hi all, I am very confused.
    I need a new router and have the dewalt 625 in mind but screwfix list two. One of them ( dw625ek ) is called a plunge router and costs £399, the other (dw625ek-gb) costs £249 and doesn't have the word plunge in the title..... but both say they plunge to 80mm and everything else in the description is the same except that the cheaper one has a case ( which I want )
    Whats the difference ?

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Personally, I'd go for the Dewalt 625. ;)

Happy to Help.

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I wouldn't, I would go for the 625

4. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

I think they've got into a knot with there web page
    Note the"EK" version says its 240V in the title and then says its the 110V in the description

5. Grahamdewalt

Grahamdewalt New Member

Cant see where it says that. There is a seperate 110v version. :)

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

TBH if your going for a router go for a trend, thats what they do, I have the T4 and T10, both top notch for different things......

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Your not wrong there jj, how long will that post last......

9. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

look in the bit that says specification

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

11. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

I had one for a few years and it was a real 'beast'. ie it did well on the heavy stuff, where you had a good layout. it seemed to prefer being set up and then remain so. in that it became a  pain to change shank size. it died and i was glad that it did.

i then went for the Hitachi. a much more friendly piece of kit.

12. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    trend routers used to be just rebranded aeg units, and not very good! have they got their own stuff out now?

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Oh, I didn't know that jez, I just assumed I guess because trend do such a vast range of cutters,  jigs, routers and accessories etc that they must be the brand to go for, so I bought the T4 and liked it and then bought the T10 when I needed more power.

Its a bit like saying Dewalt = Black and decker I suppose and I have quite a bit of Dewalt kit too. I guess the bottom line it is personal choice when it comes to tools, personally I found I had too much yellow in my tool kit and needed to break it up a bit.

When my dw718 packs up I am going to go for a Milwaukee saw because I think the red will really bring out the best of the other colors.......

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

One difference is that the description lists '2000 rpm no load speed', for one,  and the other lists as '20,000 rpm no load speed' .

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Handy,

They should both read 20,000rpm. 2000rpm is unrealistic for a DW625, its far too slow.

Snezza31

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You're right, but there must be some difference other than that, for the price anomally.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

The only thing I can think of is, that the cheaper one must be old stock. As far as I know, the 625 has,nt changed in15 years. I have 2, the oldest is 14 years old, and its the same as the later one which is 3 years old!

Either way, it looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Snezza31.

18. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    sack the whole thing off and get a real drill not made by black and decker!

19. big all

big all Screwfix Select

with dewalt the sufixes[letters after the numbers] tell you things like E= electronic K=kit box
    so would assume GB is just to denote its a special deal within the uk but odff course that is just a guess

20. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Who said anything about a DRILL Jeznotts? This is a Router !!!!!!!!

And anyway, this Router was originally designed and manufactured by ELU of Switzerland..........Nuff said!

Snezza31